Trimming back Anthelia coral?

felixfish

newbie reefer
We have a decent sized Anthelia waving hand coral that needs trimmed. I would think I would have to cut off the polyps to a frag plug, or rock. I couldn't cut or trim the stalks back could I?
Thanks

you actually need to get down the mat that the coral is growing on and pull that up to trim the coral back. If you want to keep the trimmings you can rubber-band or sew them to some rubble rock or put them in a cup with rubble and let them attach.

+1 little_fish, you can also use super glue gel to glue them down to some rock rubble if you have trouble getting them to attach on their own.

I have this coral also, it gets really slimy and shrivels when you trim it so you really wouldnt be able to frag the cuttings. Like little fish said you have to actually scrape up some of the mat its on that is connected to the rock and use that to glue to a new rock.

I actually pull my rock out with the coral on it, hang it upside down over the garbage and just trim it like hedges when it starts to get to long or covering anything. LOL

I was able to pry the mat of it up and get a few frags of it, and actually sold a frag the other day on CL! At first I was pretty nervous with fragging, but after that, the zoa's, and frogspawn it's pretty fun. Thanks for the advice!

Back