Tripod buying advice....

Picasso

Seahorse Whisperer
My girlfriend asked me for advice on buying a tripod. I thought since the subject has come up here a bit, and since I've been soaking you guys for tons of advice, I would post a copy of the email I sent to her in case someone wanted an opinion about tripods.

Michelle,
For a tripod you want one that is STABLE! And, you've got to look like an idiot when you buy it. Take in your camera and whatever camera bag or purse however you really carry your camera and use it. Put your camera on top- they've got the kinds that you screw in, that you have a clip that permanently attaches to your camera and you just click it to your tripod, well, all kinds of mounts so try them and imagine yourself in front of a beautiful sunset that is fading fast and you've got to get this thing on. Once you've got your camera on then you try adjusting the legs. Some will screw out (those piss me off but most everyone else likes them) they've got those metal clip things that pop out of the legs, well all kinds. Use them. Pretend you are on an uneven surface and you've got to get your shot fast. Last, look at how easy it is to carry. Tripods are not multi-functioning items (I guess you could use it as a weapon) so you have to make it really easy to carry and whip out whenever you need it. Does your bag have straps to carry a tripod? Will it easily fit into a carry-on bag at the airport? Does it match your shoes? The ultra hip girl always color-coordinates! Just imagine your life and how this thing will fit into how you live because dragging around a tripod can be fun or a pain in the a$& so try to make it fun. Tripods don't have to be expensive to do their job. Another thing you might want to think of is two cheaper tripods. One for travel that is just ok and earthquake, herd of elephants proof one that you carry when you've got the time. I LOVE my tripod, it works for me. When I was a wedding photographer, I carried a mono-pod. There's a multi-functioning tool. It could be a hiking stick, a get away from me you father of the bride you're drunk stick, a get out of my way on the crowded dance floor the bride and groom are having their first dance stick..... What it didn't do was hold the camera really still. But, at a wedding, unless you're shooting the flowers, you're shooting stuff that moves so I didn't need it really still, just mostly still. Have fun buying it and take a lot of time. Getting a tripod is almost as much commitment as getting a husband! Enjoy!

Cool write up! Great advice for someone getting in to the hobby.

This one doesn't apply to most people here probably, but for the more serious photogs it's worth a read and can save you a lot of money down the road. Probably the best equipment advice article i ever read. And it's spot on.
http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

Cool write up! Great advice for someone getting in to the hobby.

This one doesn't apply to most people here probably, but for the more serious photogs it's worth a read and can save you a lot of money down the road. Probably the best equipment advice article i ever read. And it's spot on.
http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

What a great article! Keeping that one! Thanks.

Catherine:bounce:

Back