trouble with water mix

Bare handed.

I've had some white crud settle in the bottom of my water mix too. I wait till it completely settles and then pour the water only into another 5G bucket ensuring the whilte crud stays in the first bucket. Check the salinity with a hydrometer!

Hehehe...I remember when I first put inverts to my tank...I counted the snails and crabs every day!! Now, I only have maybe half of the crabs I had when I first started, less snails (but new baby snails), and it no longer bothers me because I have the fish to enjoy :)

And +1 to Biff about not letting your frustrations w/ store employees ruin your enjoyment of the hobby. Do your research before going to the lfs, so that way you're armed when they try to sell you something you don't need.

Bare handed.

I've had some white crud settle in the bottom of my water mix too. I wait till it completely settles and then pour the water only into another 5G bucket ensuring the whilte crud stays in the first bucket. Check the salinity with a hydrometer!

I keep a small powerhead running in the mixing bucket so never have particles left. I use Tropic Marin

Phil

Bare handed

And just FYI if you are getting your water from walmart, it is cheaper to invest in the Culligan bottles that you buy and just take back to refill. Right now mine is $.27/g and it is RODI water. I am still doing water changes every week. Mine has been up and running since April.

Are you testing your water?

I'm getting my water from two LFS near me they are both marine only so have had no problems.
I'll be getting an RO/DI setup soon

Phil

Culligan bottles
Right now mine is $.27/g and it is RODI water.

yea thats how i started out as well, then i got smart, went to the paint department, bought 6 of the all white plastic 5 gal buckets with lids, and started carying my water that way... they dont have a rubber seal, but i dont care cause i haul 'em in my truck...

oh, and just for future reference, you can put 6 5 gal buckets full of water in a shopping cart, 3 in the cart, and then the other 3 ontop of thoes, but just remember that 30 gallons of water weighs just shy of 250 lbs...

and if i remember right, the "coke machine" kinda culligan machines are UV as well....

I get mine from the LFS, 5 gallons a week 10 gallons about every third week. I think that the RO/DI units in the grocery stores by me wouldnt be maintained properly, but that is just my paranoia. It is probably perfect. Also, getting it from the LFS give me an excuse to go in there:mrgreen:

yea, see either of the 2 lfs's that i go to are too far from my home to drive the truck to(gas) so eh, i dont bother, besides, if i went to the lfs, i'd spend money, and every time i do that i get yelled at, so, i just dont go unless i have a specific item i need and have the $ for it...

I hear you. My LFS is only 5 minutes away and I always feel bad when all I get is 5 gallons of water. I usually end up spending close to 20 bucks

Back