Troubled Blue Tang

SSalty

Team Liquid Force
My blue tang will not eat algae sheets off the clip. He is eating meaty foods like a champ but can't get him to eat algae. I have had him for about 3 weeks and I am getting worried about his health because the lack of algae.

At first, my blue tang would not go near the clip either. I lowered it to almost touching the bottom of the tank and he eventually started feeding off it. Then I started to raise it gradually back to the top....This may help with yours

Also, is he competing with another fish for the nori

you could also take a small rock and rubber band the algae to it and place it by where he sleeps, tangs in the wild pick algae off rocks they are unsure about the glass and clip and the weird green sheet flopping around :)

you could also take a small rock and rubber band the algae to it and place it by where he sleeps, tangs in the wild pick algae off rocks they are unsure about the glass and clip and the weird green sheet flopping around :)

Thanks for the tip.

It's just weird because I have had 3 tangs in the past and they all ate off the clip, however this is my first blue tang.

You should try Emerald Entree frozen foods. They are packed with veggies, but still have that meaty consistency that fish love.

Neither of tangs will go near the algae clips.They wont touch the sheets rubberbanded to a rock either.But they are aways picking something off the rocks and their both fat and healthy.

Neither of tangs will go near the algae clips.They wont touch the sheets rubberbanded to a rock either.But they are aways picking something off the rocks and their both fat and healthy.

I see they like the occasional finger also :mrgreen:

I had the same problems with my 3 Tangs at first. This is what I did.
Cut a sheet into 1/2 inch squares, then take 6 or so squares of the algae and soak it in a little bit of garlic. After about five minutes put some tank water into the container and let the algae get completely saturated. This step is important otherwise the algae squares will just float on the top of the water once you put them in the tank. I usually squeeze out the water and then let it soak for a few minutes again. Pore the algae squares into the tank and they should move around kinda like frozen food. Your Tangs will eventually eat some and discover that they love it and then will eat it of the clip. Worked great for me! Good luck.

Back