Trumpet Fish

PRC

Stop Quoting Me!
Went up to the LFS today to pick up some stuff. I saw a Trumpet Fish?..Never seen one before, he wasn't real colorful, but he was certainly sweet. Kinda looks like a cross between a pipe fish and a gar pike. The guy at the LFS didn't know a ton about them, just looked on Wikipedia...they get over 2' long..

Trumpetfish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He's actually a good guy...I buy all of my stuff from him. He's an employee. The boss brought it in yesterday. They've never had one in stock before.

I've seen them scuba diving before... But I've never seen them for sale at an LFS. I hope someone can take good care of him!

Geez, if you've never seen one maybe I should go get him...he's about as exciting as my cardinal fish. Just floats and waits.

I almost forgot....I snapped a pic of him. here he is. The sailfin next to him is about 3"

Attachments

• trumpetfish.jpg
    trumpetfish.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 471
Last edited:
Thats a cool fish.
Whats your LFS asking for it?

It's only $60...I get discounts there because I'm sure I pay their mortgage payments....they'll sell it to me for $50. They just got him in yesterday... so If I did decide to get him, I'd leave him there for awhile.

What d'ya think Yote, have you ever seen or had one in your shop?

Naw.We've never had the chance to get our hands on one,that I know of.If one of our suppliers ever gets one,I'm sure it would end up in one of our reef tanks though.

I'd give him a try.I dont see them being much different than pipe fish.

Those guys get pretty long. One of LFS/wholesalers out here has a show size one for sale, think they want 70 for him. He's almost 2 feet long. Cool looking fish. I would think he would need a LOT of room tho. I would be a lil hesitant putting one that size in my 180. But then again never researched them much.

Geez, if you've never seen one maybe I should go get him...he's about as exciting as my cardinal fish. Just floats and waits.

I almost forgot....I snapped a pic of him. here he is. The sailfin next to him is about 3"

:^:Wow what a beauty. :^: Lots and lots of color too. :mrgreen:

I think I would pass on that one PRC, there's more exciting fish to get.

Back