Trying to get my mojo back

I removed the decor, bubbler and ug filter stacks except 1. I have the powerhead on it, I added 60 lbs of live rock, and a fluval 405 cannister filter. Looks much neater and healthier. I want to upgrade my lighting, I have seen light hoods with 4 u-shaped florescent bulbs, was wondering if they would work.
thanks for all the replies!

The U shaped bulbs are power compact florescents, I'd skip those (thats what I have now and am upgrading to LED) and go for T5 Florescents—you'll be much happier. T5 has a much much wider choice in bulbs.

They also put out more PAR which is the type of light energy corals use, leading to better growth.

Also with the same wattage you can keep more types of corals.

Thanks for the help. I saw where alot of nano tanks used them. I had a choice between 4 regular t5's and 4 compacts on the hood i am looking at. I already ordered the other one, I found alot of web stores that stock the bulbs, I figured it would be easier to ups 2 ft bulbs without breaking. O well, for the price, I can throw the top in the garbage in a year.

When you need to order replacement bulbs, check out reefgeek.com. They have a selection of pc bulbs that I've never seen anywhere else like 14,000k/super-actinic. Be careful and don't wait until the last minute though because those bulbs are very popular and thus often on backorder.

Back