Two questions: Protein skimmer and a pesky little crab

strosebud10

Reefing newb
Issue #1:

I recently purchased my first piece of coral, a xenia frag, and I am very interested in slowly adding more. My go-to fish advisee says that she doesn't think that I need a protein skimmer for a tank my size. What do you think? If one is necessary, any suggestions?

Issue #2:

Over the past few months I have discovered many different little hitchikers. The most recent, and most seemingly problematic one is a small crab that I have discovered boring through my rocks. My fish store advised me to take him out since when he gets bigger he will be likely to kill my fish. The suggested taking the rock out and putting it in a bucket with no water and he would come right out (didn't work). However, I didn't want to leave it out in the open for too long since there are other creature living on it like sponges, snails, starfish, etc. So I tried his second suggestion, putting water in the bucket with the rock and a piece of shrimp in to lure him out. That didn't work either.

Any suggestions on this one!?

Thanks so much!!

For a 10g nano, you'll want to do above-average sized water changes without a skimmer. I'd say you could skip the skimmer as long as you'll have a tiny fish bioload. I don't skim my 3g pico, but all I have is a yellow clown goby, a pep shrimp, some favia and a euphyllia frag, and I do a 1 gallon water change weekly.

+1 Jag
Just make sure to change the water on a regular basis,and I'd change at least 20%.Weekly if at all possible.
As for catching the crab.You might try baiting a net and leaving it close to his perfered rock.Just use something like a piece of shrimp,silver side ,clam or something.Then sit back and watch.When the crab goes into the net,quicky pull the net out with the crab inside.It'll also help to try that at night when the lights on the tank are out.

There really aren't any good skimmers made for nano tanks that are affordable, so I agree that doing regular water changes will probably be more effective than getting a skimmer.

As for the crab, are you sure you know which rock he's in? If you dipped the rock in freshwater, usually the hitch hikers will come scurrying out. Sometimes, they'll die inside the rock without escaping. I'd keep an eye out on your tank to check if you see him again. If you can verify that he is still hanging out, the second suggestion is a good one, but it may take a while to lure him out.

You can make a trap out of a soda bottle. Cut it in half, and invert the top part into the bottom part. Make sure that the entrance is large enough for him to get through, put a piece of bait in the back of the bottle, and wait. Again, it may take a while, and you may catch a few other animals first.

I tried the Fisson skimmer in my 12gal nao and the thing really sucked. For one it didnt fit under the canopy, and two any water level change made the thing go nutz.

the AquaC nano skimmer is a beast for a small tank... but for the money you could've bought a 20g tank and sumped it with the ten, and still had money left over for more live rock :P

no reason for a skimmer.... +1 everyone.

I agree. No skimmer is necessary. I have a 7 gallon nano that has been set up in my office for the past year and a half with no skimmer. Just change out 10-20% of the water per week and your tank will do fine. Good luck!

I got a 10G also and I'm not using a skimmer. Just do 30 or 40% water changes and don't over feed that little tank!

Back