Type of Algea

Piggy

Reef enthusiast
I have a piece of algea that came in the bag with my shrimps. My one fish loves to eat it and it's almost gone. I would like to get more of it but I don't know what is called. It's red in color and looks likes branches. Does anyone know what's it called?

Sounds like Red Gracilaria,I hear fish love it.One of the algaes I'm considering to culture in my fuge.

google it and see what you come up with.

If you have herbivorous fish probably not.They say fish love the stuff,even clowns.I think snails and hermit like them too.My plan was to grow it in a fuge and when it outgrows,feed it to the Tangs and other critters that like algae.

You usually do not want to try and grow macro algae in your main tank. Either it will all get eaten by your fish, or they cannot eat it fast enough and it will take over the display tank.

Do you have the space for a fuge?If you have the space,it might not be to difficult.
Depending on the sump,you can incorporate a fuge inside one.

I don't have space in my sump. It's one of them premade plastic ones. My skimmer and pump takes up what room there is.

You can always add a fuge next to the sump if you have enough space.I seen many use fish tanks but they had to drill a hole in the fuge for a return.

I do have room next to my sump to put one separatly. Do they sell them or do you need to make it? I'll check out the HOB to see what they are.

There are many all-in-one sump/fuge but not many companies that make next to sump fuges.The only company I know of is Lifereef.com and My Reef Creations but they are pretty expensive.Its much cheaper to build your own or buy a HOB fuge.

Back