uh--HELP!!!

fishmom

Certified Hospice Nurse
Why would the salinity in my tank suddenly JUMP 'over-the-top'???:shock:?? I added 2 gallons of water (evaporation) and we cleaned the canister filter......(just a good rinse off)..and happened to look at the hygrometer and the salinity is so high it cannot read it. Have removed 4 gallons---added over 6 gallons pure RO water....still too high!

Any thoughts??:frustrat:

my guess would be hydrometer bubbles. Get a refactomer instead for future use. You should check again by rising the hydrometer with clean water then measuring and getting rid of any bubbles that areon the moving parts.

If there are any small small bubbles stuck on the plastic, the readings will be inaccurate and the moving parts will tend to float upwards resulting in higher readings. tap the meter some or swoosh it around in the water to remove bubbles.

My guess is that the hydrometer is bad too. They can be inaccurate. Unless you have been using salt water for top offs, the salinity should remain stable. Always use fresh water to top off for evaporation.

Agree with everyone and here's the proof. Same water, 2 different hydrometers.

Attachments

• Hydrometer.jpg
    Hydrometer.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 200
+1 everybody
And never panic when your salinity looks to be off like that.If it IS off,then its better to bring it back in line slowly,even if it takes several days.

Back