Undulated Trigger

FocasSRT10

Reefing newb
we have had our trigger for 3 years now, very pretty fish but would kill everything in the other tank.

he killed a niger trigger, lion fish , sharp nose puffer. and tore up the yellow damsel didn't kill him but took chunks out of him.

my question is to everyone who has had one of these guys. he is now in a 85 hex with 2 chromis & the yellow damsel he beat up lol. how is it that he will not attack his tank mates now, but before would kill everything.

when we bought him, he was small about 1 inch or so. now he is about 5-6 inches, would going from a smaller tank to a bigger tank make him less aggressive towards tankmates ?

my wife named him Mr.cupcake LOL funny name for a mean fish.

IMG_0385.jpg

Have you checked out liveaquaria.com ? They suggest the minimum tank be 180g. Since it looks like your trigger is about half of its full grown size, your tank is about half the size I think that you are going to have aggression issues again. IMO

+1 Everyone

He should be in a much bigger tank no matter what size he is, and that will help quite a bit with the aggression issues.

Have you checked out liveaquaria.com ? They suggest the minimum tank be 180g. Since it looks like your trigger is about half of its full grown size, your tank is about half the size I think that you are going to have aggression issues again. IMO

I understand they say that 180G is what he should be in, but to me that seems crazy.

I had a lady who ran a fish store around here, told me that you would need a min of 75 gallon tank for 1 seahorse just 1. I thought she was nuts. And while she was telling me this, she has like 12 fish and 3 big yellow seahorses in the same tank, not a sale tank her personal tank there at the store. No surprise that she is out of business.

You were asking about aggression issues, the reason for the larger tank would be to have an appropriate territory size without taking up your entire tank. Just trying to help.

You were asking about aggression issues, the reason for the larger tank would be to have an appropriate territory size without taking up your entire tank. Just trying to help.

it was a question yes. correct

I love help, I love info also.

I also understand that these fish are a fish only tank. not to be mixed at all with anything. one of the most aggressive saltwater fish out of them all. It's a long story on how we got him. just say bad info from a established store. my fault also for not using the web to snipe info.

I was just trying to say that not all the sites who give info on fish per gallon tank size know it all. I have had stores and websites who sell fish give bad info before. as thatpetplace says min is 120. I am not coming off sharp with anyone, please do not take it as that.

maybe I should have of put my question better, do you think he is less agressive due to being put into a larger tank.

He is a very neat fish to watch, and very hardy at that. And it is odd that chromis can swim right in front of him without being attacked, but a molly hits the water and it's all she wrote for them.

Thanks for the info I do appreciate it from everyone.

maybe I should have of put my question better, do you think he is less agressive due to being put into a larger tank.

NO problem man, not trying to pick on you just trying to let you know the reason that you are having less aggression issues then you had before. We are here to try and help with no strings attached, like the local store.
Most tend to trust the Liveaquaria site because that is all that they do is livestock and they are a very reputable place to buy from.

Nothing in the Internet is written in stone, but most of the tank size recommendations on liveaquaria are considered accurate. If I recall correctly, pretty much all the big triggers are 125+ gallon minimum size, and as almost all large saltwater fish, length of tank is more important than depth

Back