Unknown Parasite

Amba

Ol' Salty
Well after years in the saltwater hobby I believe my luck has ran out. I think that I have a parasite on my tomato clownfish. Looking for any help/ID.

Tank Parameters:

Temperature: 78.5 degrees F
Salinity: 1.025
NH3/NH4: 0
NO2: 0
NO3: 0
Magnesium: 1350ppm
Calcium: 420ppm
pH: 8.2
dKH: 8

I did my first online order (ever) last week, which is where I assume it came from. I ordered from liveaquaria, which I have been told is a very reputable company.

I have no algae issues. I run GFO/Carbon, a skimmer, UV, and I have ample water movement.

I have attached a video, since I could not get a picture of him.

Fish Behavior:

White specks near gills, especially on one side. Fish appears darker than normal. Swimming much more than normal, and in strange patterns. The fish IS eating (I tried several foods, it ate all of them). It seems to be extremely uncomfortable. I only have two fish in my tank, the other being a Starry Blenny, which seems unaffected. Please help me ID whatever this is, and help me to rid it from my aquarium.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djpp16fJeVU&feature=plcp]Clownfish - YouTube[/ame]

I should also add that the symptoms fit Ich very well. Here is a photo (best I could do).
You can see the white above his fin.

UsoX0.jpg

I can't really see but there is a good write up on ich in the disease section I believe, the other thing it could also be is brookanella (sp?) which is also known as clownfish disease

I thought it could be ich. I also will research brookanella, thank you. I don't really know much about fish disease because I never have ran across it before. I am filling a spare tank now and going to try and QT.

Is it just a single spot? If so, then it might be that the fish scraped itself on the rocks and its not actually a parasite... I also see a long-spine urchin in the background - could it have gotten stung?

Live Aquaria says they are venomous and will direct their spines towards a fish when approached. The video clearly shows your clown hovering around the area that the urchin is in. If the sting is like a bee sting for a human, I can only imagine it would be much worse for a little clown. I'm not saying its definitely an urchin sting that got your clown, but I do think its worth considering the possibility. How's your fish doing today Amba?

Haha, yea, like everyone said. Their stings are venomouss. And they freaking hurt too!!!! Super hard to removed a spine that is like 2 inches into your foot!!!

Back