Unusual tang

Pauly

Reefing newb
Hey all!
So I was in my lfs the other day and noticed an unusual tang,
It was almost pure white with an orange spot behind its head...
Anyway when I asked what kind of tang it was my lfs said it came in as an orange shoulder but he didn't think it was and hadnt seen one like it before..
So I watched it for a while and after seeing it do some stuff I had to buy it.

It changes colour! It goes from white to, orange if it's near something orange, yellow again if near a yellow fish or background, and black when it goes into a cave or at night.
When it changes, it doesn't go splotchy or take forever to change its near instant!

Anyone any idea what tang this is?
Here it is just after coming out from behind rocks.
c9c866ec.jpg

That looks like a juvi leutenant tang to me, the orange shoulder doesn't have that blue marking surrounding its scalpel like that.

Nice Tangs.

My metric conversion isn't that great but if you have them in a 90 liter tank it is way too small for either of those Tangs (Sailfin and Lieutenant).

+1000000 mike

Those tangs need a huge home. Tangs are pigs and they grow really fast. Id say you have about a month or two untill your going to have to upgrade. Otherwise they will most likely stress, get ich then die.

These guys need alot of space.

Yeah I thought it might be a lieutenant aswell,But should it not have 2 stripes even as a jubilee? And it's the whole colour changing thing that threw me as I can't find anything on it. Was hoping someone with more experience with the hobbie or tangs would know.

In my sig it says I have a 600litre which is around 155-156 gals if I'm right.
So I'm sure they'll be fine in that.

Ah no problem, I understand people just looking out for the welfare of the fish.

On another note would a 90litre be a good enough home for a porcupine puffer... I love the guys but don't want my cuc eaten!

The few pics I've seen of the juvis look like yours. A lot of tangs, and other fish can change colors depending on their mood and stress level. That's probably what you're seeing.

Yeah maybe that's what it is... Doesn't seem stressed or anything it just seems to change colour to blend in with it's surroundings... I suppose only time will tell!

Ok... Any way I can alleviate it? The tangs arent fighting and all eating like pigs, they even swim around in a pack together.

Back