Update on cycling process, any thoughts?

mmfrock

Reefing newb
I guys,

Here to give updates on my cycling because i am just making sure all is going as normal. I've had my tank up for 2 weeks now. I have tested about every 2-3 days. Here are the levels currently: .8 ammonia (i think, see later comment) .2 nitrites, 0 nitrates, ph 7.8 and salinity 1.024.

(dead rocks, live sand, lots of powerheads, no skimmer or lights on right now)

I think my ammonia test kit is bad (it's brand new though!) the test chip says the colors range from yellow-green to green, my water keeps showing up as blue-green. It's a powder test kit and i hate it. I didn't really pay attention when i bought it and i should've. i wish i had the same brand as my old test kit i used 5 years ago, it had drops. I'm going to pick up another test kit tomorrow that has drops by API or Red Sea. The instant ocean one sucks in my opinion. Anyhow, you're thoughts on how the cycling is progressing would be appreciated!

Sounds like your cycle may be almost complete...once ammonia and nitrite reach zero, and only nitrates show, then you can do a water change and your cycle will be complete. I agree, you'll need a better test kit, I myself like the api brand.

Thank you all for your reassurance, i am so excited to get something in the tank!! I want to start seeing that ammonia drop!!

great! I got the API test kit and yea it's so much better!! I have off the chart ammonia and some nitrites...that's it!! i hope it all comes down soon!!

Back