Update

youtoo54

Reefing newb
My other thread got to long lol. First thanks for all the advice. I dont have very many corals and the ones I do have seem to like the dirty water LOL. Ill do more frequent water changes but I really didnt think that as long as my levels were ok (nitrates that I check my self and have the LFS just verify) it wasnt a big deal. I did how ever by 2 different cheap salinity level test kits and both are showing my salinity at 1.030. The sail fin Ive had for over a year and he is bigger than a softball. While ive not notice him ever picking on any other fish he does go behind all the rocks where they go. One of the anenomes is tiny and thats the one the 2 clown fish hang out in. The other is big enough he wouldnt fit in a 32oz cup if you needed to put him in something. Also Im attaching a picture of the starfish I just dug out of my rock. Hes now in the sump. Ive tried to answer everything from the other thread and again thanks for all the help!

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 230
That salinity is a bit high. I would try to lower it over a few days. Take a gallon of tank water out and replace it with some RO water. Until it is between 1.024 and 1.026. Doubt that is causing the issue of fish dying, but sometimes it is an accumulation of many things that leads to a problem.

That is a decent sized green brittle and might explain the losses. I think moving him to the sump was a good idea! But I'm also going to bet that stress from the sailfin is playing a roll, especially if he is that big. Next time you add a fish, first try something other than a rabbit/foxface or tang and see if you get a different response. Also try to pick a fish that is decent sized and on the semi-aggressive end of the spectrum. I'd keep lights out for at least 4 hours after acclimating, and then hang a mirror on the side of the tank for a few days to distract your tang. That will hopefully give the new fish some time and space to settle in. I'd really try to make sure it is a healthy specimen (have you ever tried ordering from Live Aquaria? Shipping is pricey unless you can find a handful of other local reefers who want to do a pooled order with you, but their fish are generally healthy and fat when they arrive).

And +1 on getting the salinity back down. Though, if you are using a hydrometer to measure it I would look into getting a refractometer as hydrometers can be pretty inaccurate.

Back