Upgrade.. Running out of room!

I've been in the hobby for roughly 3 years, and My 110g mixed reef display is completely PACKED with sps.. lps.. and I would like to open up some space, by upgrading my tank.. Im unsure of what size tank to go with any suggestions?.. my frag tank is also full, as corals keep growing, I keep fragging, but now im almost out of room to house all my frags as well! .. Looking to upgrade the display and frag tank.. Im thinking about going 180g display.. does anyone have a 180g that could share some experience? possibly pictures as well? thanks!

I used to have a 240. It was 7 feet long. The main reason why I didn't like it seems to be the opposite of your problem -- it always looked empty because it was too big to fill. I could spend thousands of dollars on corals and it would still look like an empty box of rocks.

I think one of the main things to consider, too, is lighting. Lighting for a tank that size is very expensive. I used a 4 x 250 watt MH/T5 combo, and I think they were around $1800. So you need to think about what kind of lighting you'd want.

Haha +1 Rock stacker, I will certainly check out that thread thank you. Biff, right now Im running, 3 new ecotech marine radions on my 110g, I think these lights are the culprit for my corals wanting to jump out of my tank! lol and Im running a 4th ecotech on my frag tank which is roughly 40-50 gallons or so.. the frag tank is viewable from 1 side, with 3 sides painted white for reflection back into the tank.. Under one ecotech the corals seem to do very well LPS more so than SPS (in the frag tank).. would my 4 ecotechs be enough light to cover a 7-8ft 240-300g?

It was 7 feet long; I'm not sure what the other dimensions were. I don't remember. Here it was when I first set it up. I had upgraded from a 55 gallon, so it was pretty empty.

120107030.jpg

For a 180, you can check out d2mini's tank (200 or so gallons).
But be warned: I think he owns half the mineral and oil rights to Texas so he can afford such a build. :)
https://www.livingreefs.com/d2minis-epic-fantabulous-new-reef-build-t38569.html
LOL! I wish. :)

Mine would be considered a 200g but if you measure the internal dims it hold more like 180g of water. It's 84 x 24 x 24. If I had the room, I would have gone with something more like 30" or a little more front to back.

would my 4 ecotechs be enough light to cover a 7-8ft 240-300g?
Due to my front to back measurement of 24" and the fact that I have a coast to coast overflow taking up 5-6" across the back, I can get away with hanging my lights lengthwise and only need 4. But hanging them the normal way you would need at least 5 for a 7-8' tank.
With TIR lenses you wouldn't have any problem with the depth.

Yup. like Dennis said about the Radions, one more should be fine for a standard 180, it is 6' long. Also, look at a 210, same length, just deeper (front to back panel).

Back