Upgrade to 40 gallon breeder???

Angelajean

I know that I don't know
Hello,
So we have had our Biocube 14 a few months and have decided to start collecting supplies like filters, circulation pumps, etc for an upgrade to 40 gallon breeder. We purchased it on Petco's $1 a gallon sale. We are keeping soft coral, mushrooms, zoos, and xenia.

Hi,
I posted it once but in the fish tank section. I think that may have been the wrong place.

We have a Prizm Protein skimmer that we got when we purchased our Biocube from Craigslist. We don't use it because we do about a 30% water change weekly. and it has no place except the front to hang. All of our ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH, and salinity have been good. All our corals are doing well.

My friend says she uses a Marineland Penguin 350 with a protein skimmer and 2 circulation pumps. Is that sufficient. I haven't seen her setup so I don't have a first hand account of her success or failure. The Marineland pump specs are 350 gph and 70 gallons. Is it correct that when they say 70 gallons that is 70 gallons of freshwater?

What water changes should I plan? Trying to decide if we should get a RO/DI system or do HOB sump? Probably both but I am not sure. I have to choose one for now.

Does having a sump decrease water changes?
Thanks for the help.
Angie

I wouldn't use a Marineland filter. That will just add extra maintenance and more work for you. Especially if you have a protein skimmer instead. The Prizm isn't a very good skimmer, but I'd still use that over a Marineland filter.

I would go with the RODI unit first, if you have to make a choice between the RODI unit and an HOB sump. You can always add an HOB sump or fuge later on down the road, but if you start off using poor quality water, you could have problems right away.

Having a sump doesn't always decrease the need for water changes, but sometimes it does, because the added volume of water helps dilute out the bad stuff. Having a refugium does decrease the need for water changes, I think, because the macroalgae generally does a really good job of keeping nitrates down.

Regardless of what you go with, you will still have to do water changes to replace elements and minerals that are lost over time. The salt mix contains these, and unless you are dosing additives, water changes are the best way to replace these.

I saw that the Prizm skimmer I have has an upgrade kit. Would that help it out or should I scrap it and start over. Setting up this tank is open ended.

Are HOB sumps efficient?

I would ditch the prizm skimmer. Red Sea really does not make good skimmers. Look into a Reef Octopus or AquaC. They are both very reputable brands that work really well.

Back