Upgrading from Cannister to Sump

JBowden

Reefin' Housewife
Ok. So I've been convinced that Sumps are awesome. And I really like the fact that it's pretty much "natural" and way better for my fishies and coral...and just overall better.

So here goes...

Right now, I have a 55gal with liverock, fish, inverts, and coral...and running that is a Fluval 405, rated for a 100gal tank (I'm selling this on E-bay soon). I am getting a skimmer ... probably the Octopus one that I've heard such amazing things about...or are there others you'd suggest?

I have a 20 or 30 gallon all glass tank to use underneath to build a sump out of. Is that too big for my tank, to be a sump, or doesn't it really matter?

I also don't want to drill ANYTHING. I know this is possible for the 55gal, I just need to create an overflow box. Is this also possible for the sump? Can the water just flow into the sump through the top, and then be pumped back into the 55 gal?

How much LR do I need to put in the sump...or is that up to me?

And will the good algaes make themselves grow, or do I need to get some? And I can pop a few snails and things in there, too?

(I really have done my research on how to build one and how it works, but not one set of instructions says anything about the algaes and stuff)

Thanks in advance!

Have you checked out algae scrubbers?? Go to the DIY section and check them out. Its long but worth it!!

Go bigger wit the sump 30g is great imo. I wish mine was bigger. It just means you have more water volume which is easier to keep stable.

I don't have any LR in my sump

The Octopus is one of the best skimmers you'll find for the money. For size of a sump you want to go with the biggest one you can. For the overflow you'd be better off buying a reliable one, I was recommended this one a few days ago by several members prefilter box, siphon box, overflow box, siphon overflow, Eurobrace, Euro-brace, Euro-tank
Yes, the water can flow right from the overflow into your sump, you should put the drain line under the water level to minimize micro-bubbles. If you're just running a straight sump you don't need to put any rock in it but, You can put it in for extra biological filtration.

You can but, you're better off not using them. They can end up leaching nitrates back into your system after a while.

Back