Upgrading my tank

CDaubs

Reefing newb
So, it looks like I'm gonna upgrade the size of my tank as well as my equipment that I have already started upgrading. I currrently have a 75 gallon and the 90 gallon I'm looking at has the same foot print so I can use my current stand and canopy. I have already updated all of my lights, pumps, powerheads, etc.

I am planing on using some of my current live rock and ordering new from Tampa Bay Slatwater as well as all new live sand from them.

Any thing I should be aware of or careful of during the transition??

Thanks for all of your replies.

Charlie :D

Just take your time and try not to stir the sand bed up...use as much as the water out the old tank. Rinse the sand out in a bucket of old saltwater.

take it slow and steady try to get everything you will need in reach. it really suck when trying to transfer a tank and you have to go run and try to find something that you need

Well, cycling was a question I had. In talking with Richard at TBS, the new live sand will require a cycle and of course careful monitoring of the water quality. I have no problem with that. I won't order anything until all of my equipment is up to snuff. I will house my 2 fish and the live rock I want to save in the old tank until the new one is ready to go.

Then I will use the new live sand and rock to start the new cycle. When that is done I will introduce my cleanup crew and 2 fish.

Sound like a good plan??

OK, picked up my new 90gal tank today. :^:

So I was thinking.....the new tank came with a "better" return system than my old one. The return has a "wye" that splits the water stream into 2 6" lock-lines. My old tank had only 1. This has been a constant battle for me because of the water pressure being so concentrated.

Anyway I was thinking that if 2 was good, 4 would be better. So what if I extended the water return across the back of the tank, capped it, and installed two "T" fittings that would allow me to install 2 "wyes" with the double lock-lines???? (Can you picture what I am describing?)

This would allow me to direct the water flow all over the place and should help eliminate any dead spots.

What do you guys think? :mrgreen:

Sure, that would be fine. Your flow is going to be lower through each of them, but that doesn't really matter if you are not using your returns as your primary source of flow.

So, I got my old tank sold today. :bounce: On with the change over. I'll continue this in the "Tank Showcase" forum with pics etc. Yippy skippy!! I'm excited. :^:

Back