Upgrading

Tetra1

Reefing newb
So, I know it's been a while, but I wanted to ask an upgrade question. I am going from a 30 gallon bow front to a possible 75-90 gallon aquarium. I am hoping to transfer the fish and everything in one day if possible. Can you do this so you don't have a long cycle period? Also, I am needing to wash off my live rock as it has many, many unwanted critters living inside it. I have been overrun with fire, bristle, ? worms. Ho can I get rid of these guys as they have been a headache for me. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

i think that if you wash / boil your rock to get rid of all the bad stuff your also getting rid of all the good stuff so it would prob start a new cycle in the new tank

you are going to need more rock and more sand for either a 75 or 90 anyway right? if so you are going to cycle anyway.. could you leave the bowfornt setup with the fish in it for a couple weeks while the new one cycles then move eveyrthing over slowly? as far as boiling it you will lose good and bad... and I would go with the 90 little extra room for aquascaping..

I just transferred tanks 72g to a 75g but I could not do it in one day. One of the reasons was because the sand (new and old) stirred up the water too much. It took 2 days before I could get everything back in the tank.

A) Yes, you can do it in one day, it's not that hard really. Do a search on here, the topic has come up before and detailed info on what and how to do it is in the thread.

B) Do not boil your rock, you will end up with dead rock, period. You will need to add more rock anyway, just add the new dry rock, and go with what you have. Bristle worms are harmless, and a good part of the clean up crew, plus your fish will eat them when they can find em.

Back