Using a 3' light on a 4' tank

Matt

Reefer-In-Training
I recently acquired a Coralife 36 Inch Aqualight With 1-96W Actinic / 1-96W 10,000K Lamp Square Pin Base (with fans) used for $50 (great find right!) It works great.

It's this one: Coralife Aqualight Power Compact Fixture With Dual Lamps.

I am using it on my 4' 55 gallon tank mounted in the center (see attached picture.) Does anyone see a problem with this? I know that light spectrum matters for corals, but wasn't sure if this would affect the tank greatly, or if I just put the corals in the center of the tank at different heights that it would work just fine. I am new at growing corals and am in the preparation stage of doing so. Any information regarding this would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Matt

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 226
Yes, unfortunately two bulbs isn't enough. Even if it spanned the entire length of the tank, two bulbs is very low light for corals.

There are 2 sets of bulbs (4 bulbs total) 2 Actinic and 2 daylight. I'm confused at the fact that everyone is saying that the light only has 2 bulbs ... does a set of 2 just count as one bulb?

Looks like one of each to me.
Compact fluorescents are U shaped.

As to the length, that's fine. You just have to place corals accordingly. And the good thing is you don't have light spill over the sides of the tank.
But like other said, you may be lacking in PAR.

That makes a lot more sense now (I didn't know the bulbs were u-shaped) Can anyone suggest a good light (not too expensive) for someone new to the coral growing aspect of keeping an aquarium?

Take a look at the Current Nova Extreme. It's relatively affordable and it will let you keep anything available to us in the hobby

I would look for at least a 4-bulb unit. This will give you more light and more options for color. And T5 bulbs are much more efficient/powerful than CF.

I have the 36 inch version of this on my 45. I have no plans for sps corals. Right now I have mushrooms, zoahs and polyps..It has worked well for me and the price is well....really cheap and the built in timer works well...:twocents: Odyssea T5 Aquarium Lighting
52325-2T.jpg

Back