Using Distilled water...

Distilled water is actually more pure than just RO water, so you are fine.

Are you going to be buying the 1 gallon jugs at the grocery store, or do you know someone with a distiller?

I've read another post that be careful about buying distilled water from the dispensers at the stores (like walmart or the grocery), because you never know when they last changed the filter; which means if they hadn't changed it in a while, you'll end up with regular old tap and causing your levels to go up.

I've read another post that be careful about buying distilled water from the dispensers at the stores (like walmart or the grocery), because you never know when they last changed the filter; which means if they hadn't changed it in a while, you'll end up with regular old tap and causing your levels to go up.

Another reason why I don't understand why people don't invest in a RO/DI, they are not that expensive and it is the most important variable in this hobby.

I'm a SigEp at Southeast Missouri State, you going to a carlson/ruck/conclave this year or you already graduate?

I actually hadn't really looked at the price of an RO/DI thing I am still waiting for my skimmer to come and I still need to get a powerhead. I had just assumed using distilled water from the store would be cheaper but thats why I asked. I've been doing a lot of reading and research before I get started so everything will hopefully go smooth. I've been in freshwater for a while and finally making the change. With everything i've read so far I don't think it'll be as bad as I originally thought i'm just getting everything I need right now so I'll hopefully be up and running here in a couple weeks. Thanks for all the replies though this is definitely the most helpful forum i've ever posted on!

I normally use the RO water out of the machine at wal-mart.But I check it with a TDS meter before I fill the jugs.If it shows high TDS,I get the gallon jugs.
But since the wifes getting tired of haulling water,I guess I'll invest in a RO/DI sometime after Christmas.

Cough(airwaterice.comtyphoon3only189.00andyougetafreeTDSmeterworksgreattoo! cough

Holy crap! That wasn't very subtle.LOL

Check out the RODI units at www.purewaterclub.com. A lot of people here got theirs from that site (myself included). I paid $60 for mine, plus $40 shipping. It's a 5-stage 100 gpd unit and works great. I got the TDS meter off of Ebay for another $15 or so.

Wow...100 gpd. Mine only does 35 LOL Then again, I only have a 45 gallon tank, so it's not like I use up much for water changes and top offs :)

Back