uv light

mdenny

Reefing newb
i have a uv pond filter light and i wonder if this can be used over my sump here r some pics of it

Attachments

• uv 006.jpg
    uv 006.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 160
  • uv 007.jpg
    uv 007.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 170
most uv lights I have seen used on aquariums are enclosed. First you dont want to be able to see the light (it will damage your eyes) Second you want the water to have close contact with the uv so it will zap the stuff in the water. I am not sure how the one pictured works but it looks like it would just go on the sump like a regular pc light fixture. If it is enclosed and you pump water through the unit and back into the sump or the dt then ya it should be fine. Oh one other thing how old is the bulb? Most uv light bulbs have a effective life of 8 months to a year. Just something else to consider.

well I googled the uv you pictured. It is a box looking thing right? It says on the site I was looking at that it should be mounted in a high area of a pond like at the top of a water fall. So if you had it above your sump and let it gravity feed back to the sump it could work. The main thing I would be worried about is the bio part of the filter. With salt tanks you have to make sure that the bio mass in the filter doesnt turn into a nitrate factory. Its kinda funny really you dont want the bio filter part to work to good or you will always have problems with nitrates. Thats the main reason people have gone away from trickle filters with bio balls. If you dont mind cleaning the bio mass often like every two weeks then it shouldnt be a problem.

well when you run a uv you will notice that you dont get as much algae. Also when I run mine more often my skimmer seems to work better. Seems kinda strange to me but I really think it skims better with the uv on. I was having a problem with some diatoms and a little cyno I stated leaving my uv on all the time and everything has cleared up pretty well.

Back