UV Plumbing Configuration

Nuube

Reefing newb
I would like to plumb in a 18W or 25W UV to my 100Gal+ FOWLR system. My question is this: If I use a bypass line (on my return) to house the UV, can that line then be plumbed back into the return line or must it continue to the display tank as a second return line? Please tell me WHY one is more preferable than the other. Thanks Alot

I dont see why you couldnt just plumb it back into the return line.Just put a gate valve right before the plumbing ties back together so you can regulate the flow through the UV.

hey yote, i'm wondering about path of least resistance.... if you have two parallel pathways, one with a restriction and one without, the path of least resistance is the one without, so all the water would go that way around, wouldnt it?

seems to me that you'd have to put the valve in the main return line, between where the uv splits off and where it comes back in, and then, u'd use the valve to increase the resistance of flow in the main line, thus forcing some of the water around and to the UV...

my question is why not just put the uv inline with the return, and be done with it? does the UV not flow enough to handle the full volume of the return?

The UV needs less flow than the return line would have if it were not valved back through a bypass. I hope I made that clear enough!

i understand.. ok, then you can do what yote said, just make sure to put the valve on the main return so that it causes water to be forced through the uv, and then back into the return line...

Back