UV Plumbing Location

Nuube

Reefing newb
Hello, I'm setting up a 90Gal FOWLR tank with sump in basement. I am going to have two drain lines coming from the display tank to the sump. My question is this: Can I plumb a UV lite on one of the drain lines coming from the display tank going to the sump? If not WHY NOT. I understand the UV must have a given flow rate through it. If this is doable would it be better dumping into the refuge section or the skimmer section? The reason I'd like to do this is to keep head loss down for the return line so as to achieve a better flow rate. Thanks for your help

I think it's better to plumb it in the downside, this way any pods leaving your fuge will not be zapped. The slower the water goes through the uv the better, it kills more that way. Do yourself a favor and put isolation valves before and after the uv so you can take it out for maint and cleaning/bulb changing, if you hard pipe it.

you can plumb iton the drain but you have to be carefull if it is clogged you are going to be in trouble most uv's dont have to have a valve on them so that you can change the bulb and clean the sleeve. but it will make it easier if you ever need to replace the unit. i plummed mine to the return side just because it would not fit in my stand. i would suggest a gamma 40w uv if you have not got one yet. this is the one that i have and it works great and is easy to change bulbs and sleeves when needed you just have to turn the water off pull the top off and out comes the bulb.

Back