UV sterilisers

Trigger Happy

Reefing newb
I have a UV steriliser that I have never connected up. I am wondering how many reefers use them and where they put them in their system. Any pros and cons?

I have the same thing. I have one and have never used it. From what I have researched, they can be very good in very specific situations but in most situations they aren't necessarily. What I have heard is they are really good for very high fish loads or disease prone tanks. I was thinking about trying to change mine into some sort of algae scrubber actually lol. I have also heard of people just adding them to the system when they see disease in the tank (so like putting it behind some ball valves and only turning it on when needed. I may set mine up like that when I have a huge closet for my sump but right now I don't use mine.

UV sterilize are good for killing bacteria, phytoplankton, and algae spores. So its also going to kill all the good stuff, along with the bad stuff. IMO thats not worth it to. Its so easy to keep your tank disease and algae free with out such damaging methods.

I have one running on my system. I have not noticed anything special at all. Though I have never had any issues with Ich, or pests either, so maybe it is working. Most people I know do not run them.

Thanks for your info everyeone. I think I will leave it off for the moment. I don't like the idea of killing off things i don't even know are in the system, and I haven't had any diseases.

:Cheers:

Back