UV Sterilizers

They definitely aren't necessary, and it's a pretty controversial subject as to whether they're worth the money and whether they are helpful or harmful. Off the top of my head, I can think of anyone one on the site currently that uses one.

They definitely aren't necessary, and it's a pretty controversial subject as to whether they're worth the money and whether they are helpful or harmful. Off the top of my head, I can think of anyone one on the site currently that uses one.

Haha well if no one uses them.. obviously they're not necessary! Lol.. thanks alot :D

Does everyone use a sump? Because we're not gonna use one, so hopefully we still don't need a filter.

Well.. that stinks. I think everyone just assumes we're gonna use one, but we aren't... so a filter is recommended right?

a sump basically provides more water , a safe haven for your microorganisms to grow without getting eaten by the fish or other threats, and my favorite use : to hide everything so you dont have it hanging on your main tank or in the tank itself (filter, skimmer , heater etc)

a sump basically provides more water , a safe haven for your microorganisms to grow without getting eaten by the fish or other threats, and my favorite use : to hide everything so you dont have it hanging on your main tank or in the tank itself (filter, skimmer , heater etc)

Oh okay, thank you :)

I feel like I'm asking too many questions.. and that might drive people crazy!

Here is the list I've compiled from what I've learned & looked up:

- 30" INCH HO QUAD T5 AQUARIUM CORAL LIGHT FIXTURE 96W
- 2x Hydor Koralia Evolution 550GPH Circulation Pump
- Hydor Slim Skim Protein Skimmer - up to 35gal
- RO/DI 0PPM Portable 50 GPD Reverse Osmosis RO+DI Filtration
- 25 lbs of live rock (maybe Fiji)
- Ocean Direct Caribbean Live Sand - 20lbs
- Marineland Aquarium Light Timer
- Instant Ocean Aquarium Salt - 50gal
- Instant Ocean Hydrometer
- Top Fin Floating Glass Aquarium Thermometer

Only thing I'm unsure of is.. test kits & heaters.

*API Saltwater Master Liquid Test Kit* or *API Reef Master Liquid Test Kit*
*Fluval Submersible Glass Aquarium Heaters -150 watt* or *Aqueon Submersible Aquarium Heaters 13'' 150watt (30-55gallon)*

Last edited:
I feel like I'm asking too many questions.. and that might drive people crazy!

Here is the list I've compiled from what I've learned & looked up:

- 30" INCH HO QUAD T5 AQUARIUM CORAL LIGHT FIXTURE 96W
- 2x Hydor Koralia Evolution 550GPH Circulation Pump
- Hydor Slim Skim Protein Skimmer - up to 35gal
- RO/DI 0PPM Portable 50 GPD Reverse Osmosis RO+DI Filtration
- 25 lbs of Fiji live rock
- Ocean Direct Caribbean Live Sand - 20lbs
- Marineland Aquarium Light Timer
- Instant Ocean Aquarium Salt - 50gal
- Instant Ocean Hydrometer
- Top Fin Floating Glass Aquarium Thermometer

Only thing I'm unsure of is.. test kits & heaters.

*API Saltwater Master Liquid Test Kit* or *API Reef Master Liquid Test Kit*
*Fluval Submersible Glass Aquarium Heaters -150 watt* or *Aqueon Submersible Aquarium Heaters 13'' 150watt (30-55gallon)*

There's no such thing as too many questions here ... We're here to save you time, money, heartache, and possibly living creatures lives by providing as much advice as we can.

I would save your time and money with the aquarium timer and just get a $5 timer from walmart, that's all you'll need.

I would skip the hydrometer, they are inaccurate and need to be replaced every 6 months. Instead go for a refractometer.

One place you can save some money is to just get dry sand. Your live rock will make the sand live after a few months.

For the test kit, you'll only need the saltwater master kit when starting out. When you start keeping hard corals then you'll need to add the reef master kit to your list.

I would also skip any glass heaters IMO they have too great a chance of shattering and leaving glass shards in my tank. I really like the titanium heaters so far and haven't had any issues with them so far.

There's no such thing as too many questions here ... We're here to save you time, money, heartache, and possibly living creatures lives by providing as much advice as we can.

I would save your time and money with the aquarium timer and just get a $5 timer from walmart, that's all you'll need.

I would skip the hydrometer, they are inaccurate and need to be replaced every 6 months. Instead go for a refractometer.

One place you can save some money is to just get dry sand. Your live rock will make the sand live after a few months.

For the test kit, you'll only need the saltwater master kit when starting out. When you start keeping hard corals then you'll need to add the reef master kit to your list.

I would also skip any glass heaters IMO they have too great a chance of shattering and leaving glass shards in my tank. I really like the titanium heaters so far and haven't had any issues with them so far.

Okay we'll get a cheaper timer.. look into a refractometer.. and get a reef kit after we have our corals.. find a new heater (not glass). AHH MORE RESEARCH! :frustrat:

We're still gonna get live sand.. I'm heard such good things and we don't have the patience to wait a few months for the sand to turn live LOL! We're impatient enough as it is..and we don't have any of this stuff yet lol

My favorite thing about a sump is having no film on the surface, and always having the appearance of a 'full' tank. (since all evaporation is seen in the return chamber, and not in your tank). When I didn't have a sump, I hated that after only half a day, I could already see the water level lower than the rim of the tank. Drove me crazy. With a sump and a return chamber you never see it.

Of course, this can easily be fixed with an ATO. :D

I agree with Brian, all great suggestions.

Okay we'll get a cheaper timer.. look into a refractometer.. and get a reef kit after we have our corals.. find a new heater (not glass). AHH MORE RESEARCH! :frustrat:

We're still gonna get live sand.. I'm heard such good things and we don't have the patience to wait a few months for the sand to turn live LOL! We're impatient enough as it is..and we don't have any of this stuff yet lol

You will want your test kit before, so you can test your water while it is cycling. That alone will get you in the habit of testing, and get you familiar with the tests.

Also, you should hope to learn patience, without you run a greater chance of failing.

Back