Venomous lionfish.

doom239

Reefing newb
So I went to the LFS today and found out that the lionfish I wanted is Venomous, now if I were to stick my hand down into the water, and it were to bite my finger, would I lose my finger or die?
What type of venom do these guys have?

I looked on google could not find anything about there venom.:death:

nevermind i found it.

The lionfish is one of the most venomous fish on the ocean bottom floor. Lionfish have venomous dorsal spines that are used purely for defense. When threatened, the fish often faces its attacker in a head-down posture which brings its spines to bear. However, a lionfish's sting is usually not fatal to humans. If a human is envenomed, that person will experience extreme pain, and possibly headaches, vomiting, and breathing difficulties. A common treatment is soaking the afflicted area in hot water, as very few hospitals carry specific treatments.[5][6][7] However, immediate emergency medical treatment is still advised, as some people are more susceptible to the venom than others.

There are a few people on here that have been stung by lionfish. Apparently it's painful, but not bad enough to deter people from keeping the fish. If you are careful when working in your tank, you should be safe.

I forget the name, but I hear there's an octopus that is hard to get because it's so toxic, that just touching the water (or maybe ingesting a little?) could seriously hurt or kill you.

Yes!! Let's get the octopus! Awww, the kids won't touch the tank!!

Yeah, that's the one. I saw the other thread someone started on it in another category. That's just nuts to want to keep one.

A lionfish sting hurts.I guarantee it'll bring tears to your eyes.
As for making a trip to the ER,Thats not needed unless your allergic to bee stings.

As for making a trip to the ER,Thats not needed unless your allergic to bee stings.

And of course...you won't know if you're allergic to bee stings unless you get stung. I've never been stung, so I'm scared of bees since I don't know if that one sting will send me to the ER (with my luck, it's the ONE thing I'm allergic to! I have no known allergies)

you never know i have a friend that works at red lobster and she has worked there for years and all the sudden she started to swell up. for some reason she developed a allergy to shellfish out of thin air.

Back