Very Low Calcium

dawneanddonv

Reefing newb
Please help. My tanks calcium is very low. Checked this morning and it was 150. I know thats really bad. How do I get it up to where it needs to be. I have had a probem with low calcium from the get go but it seems to be getting worse over time. I have been adding purple up every other day and a 2 part (Kent) Tech Cb. HELP please, don't know what to do and it is really frustrating to me.

what kind of salt do you use? water changes is the best and fastest way to raise the cal without a great impact on the system

I think your test result is wrong. It's virtually impossible to have ca that low unless you have a tank loaded with SPS corals and coralline about 2" thick, and even then I'm not sure it can get that low.

As Daugherty asked, what salt do you use and what are your alk and mag parameters?

3.4 dKH or 3.4 meq/l ?
When you are making water for a water change, what does the calcium in that freshly mixed water test at?

It says Milli equaivalents per liter(?). When I mix water the calcium tests at around 240.
Your alk is fine and is close to where it should be with Instant Ocean.
Your calcium test kit is wrong, or you are testing wrong. Instant Ocean freshly mixed should be around 350 calcium.

I agree with ccCapt. Sounds like you have a bad test kit. Or one other thing, when you make your SW do you add the water first or the salt first to the container? If the salt is added first it could potentially create a calcium precipitation.

Back