waste of money?

owen386

Reefing newb
Hey all need a light fixture for short money. Now I usually like buying quality as I don`t want to have to just replace it in 6 months. Saw this on ebay NEW 48? 216W T5 AQUARIUM LIGHT FIXTURE REEF FISH TANK | eBay figured it was a wast of money and you get what you pay for but, if anyone had bought one of these and it has worked out I would love to hear about it or vice versa Thanks!

-Owen

Also when they say "day time lights" and "arcnic blue light" I thought you just kept all of them on during the day and only used your Moonlight l.e.d at night is this correct?

That would be perfect for your 50 gallon tank. The bulbs are probably very low quality, but you can replace them in time. Day time lights is what the white bulbs are sometimes called. The blue bulbs are called actinics. You will keep the white and blue lights on during the day, and the moonlights at night. In most fixtures, the moonlights stay on 24/7, but their light output is so low that you can't even tell when the other lights are on, so you only see them at night.

Hey Owen,
Fellow New Englander here. I'm in Quincy and am a newbie as well and can tell you that I purchased a simarlarly cheap fixture (odyssea $100 dollar version) and am very pleased with my purchase. I wish mine had the mounting bracket that yours has, but other than that it, it's looks like the same fixture. These things are made in china and seem to be hit or miss, but mine works great. Great light, for the money, and just remember to put in better quality bulbs in 8 months or so...Biffs got you covered on the daytime thing....10,000k temp bulbs are called daylight...the blues are actinic but they run together. You can, however, run the actinic on a seperate timer and start them two hour before (or so) and after you bring in the daylights. This creates a dusk,dawn effect that is pretty cool.I leave my moonlights on all the time and love the look when the tank is dark...Good luck with them!

Back