Water Change Problems...

SaltwaterNoob17

Reefing newb
Okay, so every week I change out 5 gallons of water (roughly 10%) of my 46 gallon aquarium. It's kept the aquarium clean and algae free (except for coralline that is). However, this past Wednesday I bought new corals (a lot of which were acros), and I placed them near the top of the aquarium so that they would get the best lighting. I went to do my water change today and realized that I can't take 5 gallons out without the acros coming out of the water. I could only get 3 gallons out before the acros started poking out of the water. Is it bad for corals to be exposed to air for the 5 minutes it takes me to change out the 5 gallons of water? Does this mean I'm stuck with switching my WC's to changing out 3 gallons at a time twice a week? Any ideas?

They'll be perfectly fine out of the water while you're doing the water changes. Acro's are often exposed to air and sun for hours at low tide in nature and nothing happens to them. Keep doing the water change volume as normal and you'll be just fine.

As long as they don't dry out, they'll be okay. I can't think of any corals that can't be exposed to air for a short period of time. Sponges and gorgs, yes, but corals? I don't think so.

I turn off my lights so the heat from doesn't dry out my corals. I also cover them wit wet paper towels to keep them moist. Seems to work.

I'm no expert but I think Samantha you should acclimate your acros to the light before you move them to the top. Acros may be different I'm not sure but I would check before you do some damage and bleach your new corals..

I turn off my lights so the heat from doesn't dry out my corals. I also cover them wit wet paper towels to keep them moist. Seems to work.
Turning off the lights is a good is a good idea! So simple, and yet I probably wouldn't have thought about turning them off.

The acros seem to be doing fine at the top. I got them Wednesday and put them all at the bottom of the tank. Since Wednesday, I've moved them to the top. I don't know if that's too fast to acclimate them to the light, but like I said, they seem fine...

I think that's to fast. I take a couple weeks to move corals up the rock work. But hey if they look good then you should be ok.

Back