water changes arent lowering nitrates... why?

I am going against the grain here and do run a 100 micron 7inch filter sock and fiber mesh.
I run 2 filter socks opposite of each other and switch them out every 3-5 days. I dispose them once a month and replace with new ones. They pull out so much junk i was supprised. Regular maintenance is a must filters or not. I prefer physically removing the waste in addition to a protein skimmer. All that crap still needs to break down too with/without filters, and i am very positive that it will take longer than 3-5 days to break down w/o filters, and reducing feeding is not my object. :-)
Good luck and please research some more on good husbandtry.

You don't have to use live rock. Get some base rock and it will "turn live" in short time. I would also consider a refugium. They're definitely more beneficial than just nutrient export. I do believe that there's a root cause that needs to be fixed and not just masked, but these things will help in the long run, too.

wasn't able to get to store today. def going tomorrow. so I should get distilled water then just to be safe? some had mentioned here that the got it from Walmart and it test 2-6 pom.

thx

Back