Water Evaporating to fast

blando

Reefing newb
Hey guys.. So i have my 20 gallon tank for right now (just got a 75 gallon tank just waiting for the new place).. and yesterday i got home and the sump where the water is sending the water back up was lowww to where water wasnt going up.. So last night i added more water to it then woke up this morning had to add more. I feel like im constantly adding water every day. Is anyone else have this issue. I read about fans so i went to walmart got thos small desk fans. I have one pointing at the top of the 20 gallon display tank.. Then another one where the sump is at thinking i would decrease the evaporation. Any suggestions?

Fans will INCREASE evaporation. It is a way to keep the tank cool by increasing it. I lose almost a gallon of water a day to evaporation in my 30 gallon tank.

+1 everyone...I don't know how much I lose, since I have an ATO in place, but before I had an ATO, I had to top off a gallon or two everyday. I actually tend to lose more water in the winter when it's dry than summer.

In my 90 gallon (with about 60 gallons of sump and fuge), I lost 5 to 10 gallons a day. I'm in hot, dry Arizona, and I had fans running. The more fans you have, the more evaporation you have. Evaporation is the tanks way of cooling itself. It's not a bad thing, just a hassle to keep up with. You should look into an auto top off (ATO). That will automatically top off the tank for you as it loses water and you won't have to do it yourself anymore.

ok so u think it is a bad idea to use these little fans?... yea i was thinking on a auto top off for the new tank when i get that setup.. ill have to do some research on it.

No, it's not a bad idea. Fans keep the tank cool, and keeping the tank cool is important. Evaporation is a side effect of cooling. There's no way to avoid it.

How's your tank temp?
Season doesn't matter to me because the tank is in the house which is temp controlled year round. Do you need the fans to help keep temp down? If you don't then I'd remove them. Waste of energy and water. But if you are evaporating more all of a sudden, I would suspect your temps have risen. How are you monitoring temp?

How's your tank temp?
Season doesn't matter to me because the tank is in the house which is temp controlled year round. Do you need the fans to help keep temp down? If you don't then I'd remove them. Waste of energy and water. But if you are evaporating more all of a sudden, I would suspect your temps have risen. How are you monitoring temp?

Season may matter when it relates to humidity, like in Arizona. If it's more humid (in the late summer and early fall), you will have less evaporation.

But good point on the fans. Do you need them?

Maybe I didn't read this correctly, but the rate of evaporation seems a bit extreme. If you top off at night, there shouldn't be any reason to top off again in the morning when you get up. What is the capacity of your sump?

While everyone has you covered on evaporation...I want to make sure you're not leaking water anywhere. Check around the floor in the back of the tank and make sure your floor isn't wet.

Maybe I didn't read this correctly, but the rate of evaporation seems a bit extreme. If you top off at night, there shouldn't be any reason to top off again in the morning when you get up. What is the capacity of your sump?

I was thinking the same thing, but then with a 20g tank I assumed the sump was pretty small which would mean the return section is probably pretty small as well. But ya, that's some quick evap that sparks several questions.

Back