Water flow

lisamarie806

Reefing newb
In my 75 gal. tank I have the flow from m canister pump, I have the flow from the two power heads, do I need to add two Koralia 4`s or one? I would like to know how do I know where to place them in my aquarium.
Thanks

What type of power heads do you have in there now?
How I have my powerheads is I have two on the corners hitting the front of the glass and two in the back corners flowing to the middle front of the tank.
I would go with a 3 in your tank. Ive got 4 koralina 3's in my tank.

The power heads I have are actually made for like a 55 gal tank. I have had them for a very long time. I decided to use them until I could get better water flow pumps. I have a lot of really dark looking stuff that is on the sand bed and some rock, you can pull this stuff off with your hand. I think it is some kind of algae, I just figured it was from poot r water circulation. I do test daily and everything is checking out, no problems with phosphates or anything for that matter. I would like to find of what this stuff is, I can clean it but it comes back. I have no algae, well a little but nothing to complain about other than this stuff. The surface of my water is like a green cast, I thought this could be from poor water circulation as well. Do you know what all this could be?
Thanks

yes I believe this is what it is. I looked at some photos to be sure this could be what it is. When my phosphates are like 0.25 sometimes 0.5 so these are low but maybe not low enough. I do like 10% change with distilled water. Im soon going to buy ro water sys. but for now distilled will have to do. I did start out with tap water. Hopefully as I do more and more changes with distilled or ro water it will get better. So do you think this could be the problem or is it due to poor water circulation, why do you think I have this thin green film on top of my water?

I dont know about the green film, I have never heard of it.

As for the cyano all you can do is increase water changes, take out as much of it as you can when you do the water changes, and it cant grow where there is flow so you if you do add a powerhead you can increase the flow where it is the most and that will clear it up. Also phosphates is one big reason it is there so you can reduce feedings and that will decrease your phosphates.

Thanks for all the info. I hope it all gets worked out. If I can get that cleared up then my tank will be beautiful because my water is very clear. I will reduce the feedings.
Thanks again

If you have a film on your surface, you should increase flow. Make sure at least some of the powerheads are pointing upwards and keeping the surface of the water moving.

Thanks for the info. I hope to get those pumps by Wed. of next week. I was cleaning the glass this morning and I must have caught a some sand in the scraper and WHAT A SHAME, I scratched my glass MAN, WAS I SICK. I wish my tank was all finished all the coral in place with a couple of more fish that will be it. I will have maybe a total of 10 fish and I will not over crowd my tank with corals, they will grow. Can I add like a hang on the back filte but do not put the filter media in it just to add some more water flow, will this be ok? My water is clear everything is in check no water probelms other than the light green film ontop of the surface, I soon, hope to be rid of. I was speaking of the hang on the back filterm, will help with more oxygen to the tank? Oh by the way, I have about 60lbs of live rock, is this enough or do I need to add more?

Back