water movement

cthegame

Reef enthusiast
I currently have 3 powerheads in my 80 gallon. Each has a 200 GPH flow rate. two on one side and one on the other. The only other flow i have is the return from the sump which is being powered by a magnum 350 pro (also pretty good flow but over time it slows down a bit until i clean it again).

Basically i was wondering if this is enough water movement or if i should have more. My biggest concern is well oxygenated water.

Another question i have, is how do i determine what is my tanks total flow rate? I'm a bit confused by what the "total" flow is.

I guess its time i post some pics of my tank. I Will do that very soon :)

Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
I would aim for 10x turnover of the volume of your tank. So you want at least 800 gph of flow throughout your tank. 9 out of 10 tanks don't have enough flow, in your case it wouldn't hurt to add another powerhead.

If your concern is the oxygen content of water, position the powerheads upwards so that they slightly break the surface of the water, causing a ripple.

I'm not sure about the total flow, but I'm guessing it's the sum of the water movement, so 3 powerheads x 200 gph = 600 + whatever your skimmer pump is.

I personally dont count my skimmer as water flow.
Turn over is really how much water your filtering.
Flow is how much water your actually moving inside your display.
An example-In my 75,I am currently running 2-Hydor Koralia #4 rated at 1200gph along with 2 of #1s for a flow rate of 3200gph.
Thats not counting my skimmer and return pump.

My return pump is pushing close to 4 or 500GPH through my sump,which is what I count as turn over then the skimmer.

I personally dont count my skimmer as water flow.
Turn over is really how much water your filtering.
Flow is how much water your actually moving inside your display.
An example-In my 75,I am currently running 2-Hydor Koralia #4 rated at 1200gph along with 2 of #1s for a flow rate of 3200gph.
Thats not counting my skimmer and return pump.

My return pump is pushing close to 4 or 500GPH through my sump,which is what I count as turn over then the skimmer.

Wow you have a hell of a lot of movement going. Must be really funny to see your fish shoot across the tank. Sometimes i crack up when i see one of the fish get close to the powerheads.

On a 75 gallon, is that really how much water movement is recommended? It seems that you have more than enough. Is it better to have more smaller powerheads positioned in the tank or one or two really powerful ones? Like yours

I would aim for 10x turnover of the volume of your tank. So you want at least 800 gph of flow throughout your tank. 9 out of 10 tanks don't have enough flow, in your case it wouldn't hurt to add another powerhead.

If your concern is the oxygen content of water, position the powerheads upwards so that they slightly break the surface of the water, causing a ripple.

I'm not sure about the total flow, but I'm guessing it's the sum of the water movement, so 3 powerheads x 200 gph = 600 + whatever your skimmer pump is.

Well i have 3 x 200gph + the magnum which i think is at 300gph. Only these 4 are moving the display tank. The skimmer is powered by a 300 gph pump but that does not affect the display. Its only in the sump.

So i have a total of 900 gph i guess. Should be enough or should i throw in one more powerhead?

The main reason I wanted that much flow is becaue I plan for an SPS dominated tank.And you'd be surprised just easy the movement inside the tank is.My fish dont have any trouble at all.

The more flow the more detritius stays suppended and there fore gets removed.

I say ditch the powerheads you currently have and get new ones that are rates MUCH higher.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Just another aspect to think about: even with high levels of water movement it is still possible to get dead spots (no movement), particularly with all the rocks. however you set up the pumps, give the tank a couple of hours to reach steady state, then look for indications of water movement throughout.

You can tell where you don't have enough water movement when you feed. If food ends up hitting the substrate, you probably should aim a powerhead in that direction.

i have about 5990 gph FLOW in my 125 including the return pump. and 1190 through the sump.

2 #4 Koralias, 1 sieo 1500, and a modded MJ1200,
return pump is a GenX PCX40 @ 1190 gph @ 4' head.
i am thinking of adding 2 more #4 Koralias also.

Currnetly I have an actual 3600 gal p/hr water movement in the tank with return and circulation devices. I will be adding several of the new eco tech with controllers soon which will give me the capability to adjust where I want. AS IMPORTANT IS THE TYPE OF FLOW/MOVEMENT YOU HAVE IN YOUR SYSTEM. YOU CAN BLOW THE SKIN OFF THE CORALS WITH TOO MUCH FLOW OF THE WRONG TYPE AND OTHERS CAN PUSH TWICE OR THREE TO FOUR TIMES THE FLOW WITH THE CORRECT TYPE OF FLOW. CHAOTIC MIXED DIRECTIONAL FLOW IS THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD POINT, FROM THERE YOU HAVE JUST TOO MANY DIFFERENT SITUATIONS TO LIST ALL HERE. GOOD LUCK, KEEP US POSTED. OH, AND YOU NEED TO MAKE SURE YOUR HAVE VERY GOOD SURFACE AGITATION FOR GAS EXCHANGE AS AN ADDED BENEFIT TO THE SYSTEM.

Back