Water question.....

I figured I was ok. I just want to make sure I can not over change my tank water. The more frequent I change it the more trace elements are in the water for my corals, but is it possible to change it to often and over do it?

IMO, it's over kill and un-need work and can get expensive. That is unless you have some major water quality issues. If that is the case, find the cause of the poor water quality ex. over-feeding, no skimmer, over stocked tank etc..

In my 55 gallon SPS tank I only do a 6 to 7 gallon water change weekly, and sometimes even bi-weekly. I just make sure that I keep up on my alk/calc dosing and that my skimmer is working 100%.

And yes, I believe changing to much water too often can be harmful. Alot of important bacteria is found in the water column and you don't want to deplete that bacteria too rapidly.

Last edited:
In my 75,I'm up to changing 24 gallons a week.I'm doing that because it helps keep my calcium and alkalinity from dropping to much through the week.
Every tank is different.So what works for me,Ssalty,or Biff may not work for you.You have to find the maintance schedule that works for your set up.

Back