Water Storage

RocketSapp

Reefing newb
OK, so I have been collecting things as I see them so I'll have everything I need once I get done with my stand and start setting up the "new" tank. So far I have picked up about 95lb of dry base rock (60 more lbs to go), a RODI water filter, a refractometer, a couple heaters, and a bunch of 3 Watt LEDs which I will use to build my lighting with.

Recently I was thinking about water storage. The RODI filter I got will do around 50 to 60 gallons a day, so my first fill will be easy, just put the output of the filter right into the tank. It'll take around 2.5 to 3 days to fill it. (150 gallon tank) But it's after the initial fill that has me thinking.

I know that many around here use the big garbage cans and run the RODI into it with a heater and a small pump to keep it moving. (I don't think that a small pump is really needed since the temperature changes in the water will keep it circulating but that's another subject.)

Has anyone used, or know if its a problem to use one of the rain water barrels that are being sold now? Normally they sit outside under the rain gutters where the rain is caught and then its used by pulling the water from the barrel using the faucet that is mounted at the bottom. They all say non-potable and I can understand that if you were using it for rain water. But can it be used to hold the RODI water? I don't know if the plastic has the mold preventative or anything else in it that would not be safe for fish. With the nice open tops with "filtered" covers and the faucet at the bottom for moving water around, they seem to be built for how we would be using them.

Tim

Whatever you get, make sure it does not have anti-bacterial coating. I don't put any sort of heater or pump in my reserve unless I'm making salt water. Don't skimp on the bin either. I"ve had a bin that I used for making saltwater when it eventually split on the side while it was filled with water. :shock:

Sorry to thread jack . But I get about 20 gal of rodi water every 3 weeks and just leave them in 5 gal buckets for a few weeks. That's still fine to use right since the water isn't moving around at all?

Tim I just sent up a 55 Gallon container and run my RODI water right into it. Since it's in the garage I just ordered a heater for it. The water is too cold to put straight in the tank. I'm also getting a small pump to aid in filling my water containers that I use to take upstairs. It's been working great.

Back