Water Test Kits

twps

Reefing newb
I'm always very curious if my results are accurate or not. I am using the API salt water test kit, plus their calcium & copper kits. (copper for my QT)

My readings have been good, although I cannot get my nitrates below 10ppm (I think their less than 10ppm, but the colour card is drastically incremental) Testing for copper in my QT keeps not even reading, but I've added Cupermine as per the instructions on the bottle. I also notice my salinity can fluctuate when I test it, I test 3-4 times and usually get 2 reading the same the others will be off the scale either way. I always clean my test tubes and hydrometer with fresh water after each use.

Are the test strips any better and more accurate? Maybe, I'm just being paranoid...What do you use for testing and do you feel it is accurate?

There are two types of copper. Some test kits will only be able to read one type.

Chelated copper is more stable than non-chelated, staying in solution for a much longer time. Non-chelated copper quickly falls out of solution and often requires frequent dosing. Chelated copper is also safer for fish, and is used at a higher concentration than non-chelated copper. Copper can be a deadly medication for fish if overdosed, so you must not exceed the manufacturers recommended copper concentration. Before you add a second dose of copper to the tank, you must check the residual copper concentration level in the tank with a copper test kit that can detect the type of copper you use. Not all copper test kits can detect chelated and/or non-chelated copper, so it is best to check with the manufacturer before you buy.

Aquaworld Aquarium - How to Quarantine Marine Fish

That would be my guess as to why your copper test keeps coming up negative.

Unfortunately, test kits suck. The test strips are a lot less accurate than the liquid drop kits, though.

Salifert is a better brand and will give you more accurate results than API, but Salifert test kits cost 3 or 4 times as much as API, so you pay for that accuracy.

I use API test kits myself. I think they're good enough, and they are the best brand for that price range.

Hydrometers on the other hand, are VERY inaccurate. Plus, they have to be replaced every 6 months or so. You really should by a refractometer -- you can get one for less than $40 online.

I just had issues with some test kits I had. They were nutrfin ones... they were WAY OFF, I am using the API and they seem mostly accurate.

Back