Watts per gal. for anemones question.

Keaton

Reefing newb
I've checked around some different sites including this one and I can't find a clear answer. I'm looking into getting an Anemone soon and I was wondering if 4.32 watts per gallon would cover it. I do want to try and get it to get comfortable in a cartain spot in my tank which happens to be the bottom. Do I have enough light to make it less inclined to move up closer to the lights? A better question might be is it possible to get them to stay put in one spot?

do your lights have ir's? you will not be able to keep it were you want it will move and kill everything in its path it touches. they go were ever they want.

What type of lights are they? What kinda of nem are oyu wanting? I haven't found a anemone that will stay where you want it. They will move till they're happy. LTA's will normally stay on the bottom, but they are harder to keep than a BTA which will go where ever it pleases.

Sorry just read you have t-5's. Like daughtery said do they have individual reflectors?

I'd say your lights are borderline for an anemone Keaton.IRs or not.
And forget about getting one to stay where you want it.Thats not going to happen.Lighting aint the only reason anemones move.So you've got to factor in water flow.They seem to like a decent flow rate.

Yes my lights have ir's and I not only have the Sundials listed but I also use a nova 2x54 HO for a total of 6x54. I'd be willing to get another sundial they're awesome lights and crazy bright. I read that rose anemones will generally stay put if the conditions are ideal. I re-aquascaped my rocks last week to catch the evil puffer that killed my lemonpeel and I've got a cool spot I wanted to put the anemone since my Maroon has already claimed that exact spot as his house lol. But anyway I guess I'll get another 4x54, I didn't want to spend that much money on lighting for a FOWLR but it's ok. Thanks all.

Last edited:
Your lights should be good for a RBTA (I think thats what you mean by rose) BTAs are hardier than LTAs. From my personal experience BTAs move everywhere, but once they find a place they like they will usually stay put as long as nothing changes and they're not bothered.

Back