WaveMaker or power heads

JustinsReefTank

Reefing newb
So I am now getting everything ready for my 37 gallon Tank and was wondering would it be better just to invest in a wave maker or just get power heads. I don't plan on do any SPS corals, as of now but I am wanting a good flow. I started another thread but didn't get many responses. So before I start this I would like some input and any thoughts or opions.
Thanks in advance for all thoughts and the help.:confused:

You need powerheads regardless. Whether Tunze, Vortechs, or Koralias. Research the powerheads to determine which will best suit you.

I personally wouldn't worry about getting a wavemaker, since you're not doing sps corals, and most lps's don't like a whole lot of flow. Just grab 2-3 powerhead for now, and if you decide to keep sps's later on, you can always add a wavemaker then.

Remember that wave makers are not necessarily about increasing flow, but randomizing it. I recently made an effort to get some random flow in my tank, and I've noticed quite a difference. My fish are more active, and my corals also look better. I should have taken before and after photos/videos. I would figure out how much flow you're looking for in your tank, and then look into how you can make at least part of that flow random and not fixed.

Remember that wave makers are not necessarily about increasing flow, but randomizing it. I recently made an effort to get some random flow in my tank, and I've noticed quite a difference. My fish are more active, and my corals also look better. I should have taken before and after photos/videos. I would figure out how much flow you're looking for in your tank, and then look into how you can make at least part of that flow random and not fixed.

This is one good thing about the vortechs. They are run various programs, ramping up and down at different intervals, so lots of random flow. And the amount of flow they put out is outstanding. They also manage to push and pull an insane width of water rather than a narrow stream. They are expensive, but you dont need as many power heads crowding up your tank. One or two is all you need. And you can make waves if you want to. But thats really more for the wow factor.

This is one good thing about the vortechs. They are run various programs, ramping up and down at different intervals, so lots of random flow. And the amount of flow they put out is outstanding. They also manage to push and pull an insane width of water rather than a narrow stream. They are expensive, but you dont need as many power heads crowding up your tank. One or two is all you need. And you can make waves if you want to. But thats really more for the wow factor.

Preaching to the choir. I love my MP40. When funds allow, I'm buying a second one for the other side of my tank. I have a mini Polario 7M on the back pane of my rocks for random flow back there - I'm quite impressed with that little pump as well

Well Thanks everybody for your input. Im guessing I'll start with the power heads and work my way to the wave maker!!

Most power heads are wave maker compatible through a device manufactured for them. Check out the Vortechs that Dennis suggested, the Tunzes, and also the Koralias. All of those are controllable and can give you numerous operation levels.

Back