Weird acting clownfish

camoj11

Reefing newb
I changed out about 5 gallons of my water in my 12 gallon tank. Right now my tomato. Clown fish is sitting on the sand and sometimes is swimming on his side not quite horizontally but close to it. Is he just stressed or is that normal for clown fish to act strange?

a 5 gallon change in a 12 gallon tank can cause quiet a bit of shock.
Any difference in the salinity? How long was the water mixed before the change? Did the temp of the new water match what was in the tank?

Right now the temperature is back to normal. The salinity was th same. It was only mixed for about and hour. And it was low on water so I actually took out about 4 gallons and added 5.

When your water level goes down it's due to evaporation, you need to replace that with fresh RO water not salt water. Also, unless the temp/salinity/pH are all matching a water change that large can harm everything in your tank. I wouldn't change more then 1-3 gallons a week in a tank your size.

Well so what do I do? Just leave it and hope for the best. I don't think I did to much wrong. It might just need settling?

Dont do anything right now except watch it.
tomorrow ,test your salinity.If its high,remove 1 gallon of tank water and top off with ro/di if the salinity happens to be low,top off with saltwater.
The worst thing you can do right now is panic and start making quick changes.

From the fish store???
Do you have one of these????

Hand_Held_Refractometer_Brix_Tester_Salinity_Refractometer.jpg

remote_image20100210-5792-hqnh7v-0.jpg

If not, you will need one very desperately to measure what your salinity level is.
You do have test kits and everything right????

I go to a small pet shop that has that blue salinity tester. My friend who also has saltwater tank goes there so I believe they know what they're talking about. I do have the plastic tester though. I also don't have any chemicals try test it for me.

Don't worry, when I first started out I poured saltwater back in the tank also. I didn't know about evaporation and I was constantly freaking out about my salinity.

1. Get a hydrometer and practice measuring your salinity.
2. Mark a line on your tank where the water line should be constant. I use the bottom of the black trim at the top of my tank as my water line / guide.
3. Fill your tank to this line and make sure the salinity is ok.
4. Everyday check to see if the water has gone below your water line.
5. If it has, then pour RO/DI water in your tank till the water line has been restored.

During a water change put back in the same amount of water you taken out. Sound easy, but it's vital to keep your salinity in check.

RO/DI water is basically bottled water, that has been de-ionized. So using tap water is not the same, tap water ca lead to problems, but some people on here do use tap water! :roll: hhaha

RO/DI Water is like the big bottle you put on top of the water coolers.

Its basically very pure water. You could use tap water that has been dechlorinated, but that should be your last resort. Are you planning on getting corals later down the road or just stick to fish only?

RO/DI water is basically bottled water, that has been de-ionized. So using tap water is not the same, tap water ca lead to problems, but some people on here do use tap water! :roll: hhaha

Actually its not. RO/DI is not suggested for drinking. Some of the time the water cooler water is RO, but not normally.

RO water is different then drinking water. If you're not ready to get an RO/DI unit then you can use jugs of distilled water or buy RO water from your LFS.

Back