Weird problem i've been having

d2mini

Reef enthusiast
When i get a new coral, it's usually a frag. So it goes directly to my frag rack to not shock it and to stay there until i decide where i want to put it. My frag rack is high but since my light is directly over the center of the tank (1 250w DE MH and 4 T5 ATI Blue+), it's definitely lower light. And they always do well on the frag rack, no matter what it is. But then when i go to put it on the rocks, closer to the center, the coral starts to recede (if it's sps) or wither if it's a soft coral. Sometimes just the side that's facing the light. Not all the time, but a lot! It's like there is just too much light and I don't know how to introduce it any more slowly. Do you epoxy them multiple times, moving it closer to the light each time??? I can't leave it there not permanently attached because one of my urchins or snails or crabs will knock it over and that will kill it if i don't see it right away or just plain lose it. I didn't think that one 250w bulb would give me this many problems trying to keep SPS! I'm glad i didn't go for the 400w!

Any ideas?

window screen in a frame will shield the intensity, sometimes 2 layers are good, some folks like to have the lights adjustable for up and down

Oh ya, i didn't think of raising the lights.
And that won't harm all my other corals? Probably not i guess.

And no, dcan is the one with the imaginary zero edge. :)
Mine's just a regular starphire glass rimless.

For awhile there I was looking at a lot of tank setups and yours and dcan's are both amazing. Isn't yours the one that sits in the middle of your living room?

I've seen the screen idea used a lot when people introduce anemones into their tank so they don't get shocked by the light.

This is what I do when I get a new piece of coral.

First day, only have lights on for 1 hour in the middle of my light cycle.
Each subsequent day, I add 15-30 minutes on each side of that hour. So I add 30-60 minutes total each day until I get back up to where I was.
It takes a while, but it works for me.

I just put the new frags right on 1 or my 2 frag racks. One is up higher for the high light demanding sps and I have a lower one for zoanthids and lps, etc. I never seem to have a problem with them except for a few here and there. I don't adjust my light schedule or anything. They get blasted by 10hrs of 8x54w T5's right from the start.

Did you ever think of flow being an isse instead of the light? Not sure what the flow is like on the frag rack compaired to the center of the tank. Just something to think about. Good luck!

Ya, they do fine on the frag rack, it's when i move them into the center of the tank that they do poorly. I have ever so scientifically deduced that it's a light issue based on the fact that it's always the side of the coral getting the most light that starts deteriorating. At least with the sps.

Where do you get your coral? What sort of lights are they sitting under there? Maybe you are taking the coral to a radically different environment?

Where do you get your coral? What sort of lights are they sitting under there? Maybe you are taking the coral to a radically different environment?

It all varies. Lots of LFS around here with all different lighting systems.
Remember... it does fine on my frag rack. It's when i move it to the center of my tank under more intense light that things can go south.

It all varies. Lots of LFS around here with all different lighting systems.
Remember... it does fine on my frag rack. It's when i move it to the center of my tank under more intense light that things can go south.
it could be a focal point in the reflector making a hot spot?

Back