Welcome Aquagrrl!

Picasso

Seahorse Whisperer
:^:YEAH, we've got another pony keeper! And, a fellow Wisconsonite! :^:

Welcome to Living Reefs! What kind of set-up do you have? How many ponies and how long have you been keeping horses? So glad to have another opinion on horses! WooT!

Catherine

Thanks for the shout out Catherine! Yup, I'm hear in WI too just trying to stay warm. :) I'm sure my love of the hobby stems from spending winters trying to pretend the outside doesn't exist.

As for ponies, I got lots. Probably too many. :P I have a dozen or so dwarves, a pair of H. fuscus, 3 H. erectus, 3 H. reidi and a single H. comes. I also have a bunch of pipefish. I've bred and raised seahorses with mediocre success. I've been keeping seahorses since 1999, but took a bit of a break for a while where I only had pipefish. But the bug reinfected me about a year ago, and now I have more than I know to do with. :P

The dwarf seahorses are in a 7 gallon bow. The fuscus have a 15 gallon softy reef, and the erectus and reidi live in a 38 gallon lagoon biotope. Yes, there are too many there, but I had the opportunity to acquire the reidi for next to nothing from a fellow hobbyist. I have a 65 gallon I was going to set up for a puffer but now i think it will be a seahorse tank.

Oh, and the tigertail lives alone in a was-quarantine-tank-but-now-his-home 20 gallon. I'm fairly certain he's net-pen raised and I don't want to risk the health of the other seahorse. I've been looking for a mate for him but they are impossible to come by. He was mislabelled with a bunch of H. kelloggi. The store that I got him from said they periodically got them in with the kelloggi but then decided to stop carrying seahorses (doh!)

Anyway, I'm really happy to be here, and I'm glad I found the site. I am going to try to get some shots of the gang this weekend and post them.

Welcome to the forums. Any advice on keeping pipefish? I have kept a pair of seahorses for more than a year and a half now successfully and I am upgrading my tank in a month or two and thinking about getting pipefish to compliment the horses.

Welcome to the forums. Any advice on keeping pipefish? I have kept a pair of seahorses for more than a year and a half now successfully and I am upgrading my tank in a month or two and thinking about getting pipefish to compliment the horses.

Mixing pipefish with seahorses is an interesting proposition. I should have mentioned that right now my seahorses and pipefish are all in different tanks. The problem with pipefish is that in the US there are no captive bred sources. So you run the risk of wild caught pipefish having pathogens and parasites captive bred seahorses have no defense against.

Having said that. I have kept pipefish with seahorses in the past successfully. The key to doing it is to quarantine any pipefish and treat for parasites before hand. Minimum quarantine 4 weeks, and 6 or more is better. This ensures that any signs of disease will hopefully show in that time, and you can deworm and also possibly train to frozen food.

That isn't a guarantee though; there is always the risk when you mix pipefish and seahorses. Personally, I think that your flagtail pipefish are the best choice; they use the same spaces (they don't slither or hitch) and the tend to be hardy overall. But its still a risk and only one you can decide if its worth taking.

Thanks for the information on the Pipefish, I think I'll pass for now then. Maybe in the future when I have the time/space for two saltwater tanks I'll get some pipefish. I've got a cabinet full of medication for the horses in case I need it but haven't had to use any of it yet and I would prefer to keep it that way.

Back