Well I think I have bubble algea

EliWhitney314

Phish Head
What should I do? There are 3 really small green balloons on my rock, I assume it is bubble algea. I know if I pop it that it will spread, so how do I get rid of it?

if you can pull the rock out of the tank and pluck them off without popping them.
or you can try and get emerald crabs to eat it up. or just really carefully pluck them out in your tank without popping them.
if you pop them it will release all the spores.

It's nearly impossible to get the bubbles off WITHOUT popping them. I just took a frag out of my tank cuz there were 3. I just plucked them off then scrubbed the piece with a toothbrush. Seems to work for me, I've had the same problem on another piece before.

The bubbles are attached by little tendrils. If you can pull them off by the tendrils instead of by the bubbles themselves, you won't pop them. You can use tweezers to grab the tendrils.

Eli
Grab it and rock it back and forth until it lets go and pull it out
and then pop it in between your teeth like a pea. Mumm tasty! :mrgreen:

What should I do? There are 3 really small green balloons on my rock, I assume it is bubble algea. I know if I pop it that it will spread, so how do I get rid of it?[/QUO

Bubble algae will look like small round dark green balls - you can carefuly tease it off the rocks as it can be quite hard when larger but be careful not to burst it - I have a turkey baster on hand just in case to suck out any debris

Well sorry to say I saw some bubble algae today also. I went to get a emerald crab but the lfs didn't have any. :grumble:

Hi all
Havnt been around for a while
Just my humble opinion on Emeralds
they dont exactly hunt down bubble algea
if they find it they will eat it
I had some in my tank, got three emeralds
They have yet to even come close to it

Just take a sharp screw driver and chip it off the rock while siphoning water to suck it up as it is pulled off. It will leave a bald spot on the rock but the bubble shouldn't break.

Back