Went to Dr. Fosters and smith today, 2 new frags!

hotimportknight

New! Big Tank Club!
I made the hour and a half or so trip today up to Rheinlander to get some supplies for the tank and to check out the fish/frag selection. They didn't have much for fish, or frags, but I found a few I really liked and could slightly afford... The green one is sweet as hell, the green really pops under my lights. Speaking of which I upgraded to the Nova Extreme Pro's the other day, 48" 6x54 watt T5's with 'semi-individual reflectors'. They seem to make the tank quite a bit brighter, plus they are the basically the same footprint as the tank... so light covers the entire tank much better. My Ex-girlfriend set up a 75g saltwater aquarium, then shortly broke up with me 2 days before christmas, 3 days before we were going to leave for Europe for a few week christmas break visiting my dad over there. She sold the lights to a friend, I paid for them basically, actually those were 8x54 regular Nova Extremes but I bought that one my friend wanted, and he gave me his 6x54 pro's which I kinda like better anyway, less bulb replacement costs with 2 less bulbs, but just as bright IMO.
Oh well here is the pictures! The colors aren't enhanced at all which I do with some corals, but the green is the true color of this little frag (rather phallic shaped...) and the other one is kind of bland, but was a good enough price at $18.99 because they didn't know what it was, and wasn't listed on the sheets.

IMG_0857.jpg

IMG_0860.jpg

IMG_0866.jpg

IMG_0867.jpg

IMG_0874.jpg

I also picked up 2 10,000k daylight bulbs they had on sale for like $13 each to replace the 2 I had to put in this fixture because they were bad. Got a new aqua lifter to replace my old one I recently hot glued together to make work. I also decided to get a filter sock for my sump, I was using no mechanical filtration at all in my tank so I figured it couldn't hurt for $30 or whatever it was. Weird thing about that is, when I put it in the tank to install it, the skimmer instantly started making foam like I have never seen before... Just tons and tons of fine white foam bubbles started pouring out. It didn't say anything about rinsing out the filter sock part of it, even though I probably should have assumed and done it anyway... I got a Pure-Flo II floar and automatic shutoff valve kit for my RO unit, so finally I can just let it go and make RO water constantly, instead of only turning it on when I know i'm going to be home in time to shut it off. I'll work on that tomorrow some time most likely, I want to go to a hardware store and find a valve I can just open to fill my water containers with out having to scoop it out of the big garbage can... The rest of the shopping list included some other random goodies I thought I might want now that I'm getting back into the hobby full force! Picked up some scrapers, a new veggie clip (not the cheap crappy clown fish shaped one that falls off the glass every 10 minutes...), Some A&B C-Balance, a Koralia #2 for some increased water flow in the tank to get rid of the dead spots in the circulation of the tank, mainly behind the rock work. I meant to pick up some pro clear stuff, but accidentally wrote down the wrong item number on the sheet and ended up with the freshwater only kind... While I'm on that subject (along with all the other ones, I'm ADD) does stuff like that work even? I used a 12oz bottle over a long period of time, not sure if it really did anything or if it was a placebo more than anything... But now i have to return this stuff and get the marine kind. If anyone could help me and let me know if it actually is worth while I could just return it and get my money back...

IMG_0801.jpg

Man, that is the weirdest shaped pe- I mean, coral, I've ever seen! They look awesome. I don't think the second one looks bland at all.

I wouldn't bother with the Pro Clear. Your tank looks nice and healthy. I don't really think it'd do much for you.

Where should I place these frags in my tank? I've got them stuck by the plugs into the substrate right now... My tank is only like 19" tall or something like that, and i've got pretty decent lights, 324 watt T5's nova extreme pro fixture with the semi individual reflectors... I'f I'm going to get a new tank hopefully real soon, would it be bad to just leave them in the substrate for a while?

Start them on the bottom and over the next couple weeks, gradually move them up. They should end up in the top half of your tank, so try to figure out where you want them ahead of time and work towards that. If you move them right to the top right away, you risk photo shocking them.

Nice pickups.
The green 1 looks like acropora abrolhosensis and the other a poccilopora. What kind of light were they under and F&S? You can probably put them up higher in your tank. I would assume their lighting is not weaker than what you are using.

I agree with Bifferwine. That green one looks exactly like a pen---uh--maybe thats why they call it a stag coral

So I found out the other day that my friend is redoing his whole tank, switching his old 75g with a big scratch across the front for another drilled 75g with corner overflow and no scratches. The tank came from my rich ex-girlfriend who I guess got into saltwater and spent a ton of money on a very nice setup only to let it sit and rot when we broke up shortly after the tank was running... So when I find out they are running to foster and smith for some misc. supplies I take another trip up there 2 days after the last time visiting my favorite store in WI! Unfortunately their shippment of live inventory was still late and not there... It's supposed to be in on tuesdays so I wanted to get up there Wednesday, but still no luck. I actually may run up there tomorrow again :S now that I realized I want more bulbs they have on sale after replacing the 2 old ones I threw in my new fixture. Anyways, here are some pics of the new brain I picked up there, and the beautiful rose bud anemone I got from my friend when he redid his tank! The anemone seems to be doing great so far, after only 1 day he found a nice place to wedge in, and has already been eating. Which is way better so far already than the last one I tried...

IMG_1096.jpg

IMG_1103.jpg

~Actinic shot of the new brain. $39.99 at Dr's Foster and Smith Retail outlet.~
IMG_1104.jpg

~Full tank lights on. The green just POPS, I loved it right away when I saw it.~
IMG_1105-1.jpg

Alright, I have a question that I hope to get some advice on from you guys. If I do get up to fosters or find a fish store somewhere in the next couple days, I want to find some sort of critter(s) that I could let live in my sump in order to clean up detirus and just random crap in general in the fuge section of my sump. I was thinking LARGE hermit of some kind or 2. Otherwise some sort of efficient cleaning crab, like a sally lightfoot? or some thing? Let me know what you guys and girls think. Here are some pics of my sump so you can get a better understanding of what kind of size and such I have to work with. I tried small hermits once, but they were mentally challenged, and constantly left the fuge section in favor of going into the skimmer section mostly, where it is not a fun time with all the equipment jammed into that little section, getting your hand and arm in there to get them out.

IMG_1106.jpg

~
IMG_1107.jpg

~
IMG_1108.jpg

~
IMG_1109.jpg

~
IMG_1111.jpg

~
IMG_1112.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Yeah, any large hermits that won't get through the eggcrate will do well. I'd still say skip the sally lightfoot, they may be big, but they are sneaky and I can see them getting into the other sections. Oh and some peppermint shrimp to take care of that aiptasia before it spreads to your display tank!! ;)

Aiptasia.... Yeah. That is in my DT... I used a bottle of some, now illegal to purchase in the state, aiptasia-X. It works really well, killed a few hundred of them with 1 bottle, but they just keep coming in new places constantly. peppermint shrimp in the sump eh? Think that would cut those little pricks at the source? I have had no luck with peppermint shrimp in the past... I'd say I put at least 10 or so in my tank, recently I have seen 1 alive that I just put in this week! That's a record for me! I'll put them in, they scurry off into hiding, never to be seen again, and never to eat an aiptasia (from what I can tell) even if they are just REALLY good hiders in my not so large tank. I know they are nocturnal, but I regularly observe my tank at night and have never seen a glimpse of one until this week. I don't believe I have anything in my tank that would devour them every time I get one, as far as I know. Medium size tangs, a pygmy angel, 2 clowns, a royal gramma, and a lawnmower blenny, and as of today a small cleaner wrasse. A while back when I first started getting back into the aquarium, but before I checked my self into rehab, I had my friend pick me up a tiger pistol shrimp, a watchman goby, and a bi-color blenny, all disappeared and or died before I ever saw them come out of hiding... But my original livestock is quite indestructible... 7 months or so with out a water change, didn't lose a single thing except my first lawnmower blenny due to lack of algae while I was gone at school, and my grandma didn't realize he needed something other than frozen food (poor guy didn't eat frozen apparently) and I didn't realize it because he was always fat and happy when I was around feeding on algae.
Back to the original thought, peppermint shrimp in the sump might work out actually, due to what ever unknown danger in the DT not being present, they might be able to thrive and just FEAST in peace and quiet... I'll put one or 2 on my list and give them a shot I think. Thanks Biff!

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, I have a sally lightfoot in my DT who is getting fairly decent sized... Is he/she a known homicidal maniac that could be slaughtering my peppermint shrimp, small fish, etc. ?

Back