Wesley's 72

you can simply go to a quarry and buy something like utah base/lace rock.

As an example of the downfall of base rock, a local store around here charges 1.99 for base rock. It's nice stuff, but it's noticeably more dense than live rock, which is 4.99 per pound. So people didn't really save much buy tons of base rock instead of live rock. It'd be different if you went to the quarry yourself.

As far as rock in the tank goes, put only marine rock in. The rock will/reef structure will serve to contribute to the chemistry and filtration of the system, anything else will not provide that aspect but you could surly use a inert structure to support your reef. good luck. keep us posted.

my 75 lb of rocks arrived and they are a lot bigger than I thought. Don't need the crate for my base any more. Just to test it out how to stack the rock, this is what it look like yesterday.

LR1.jpg

Thank you. Some of those are "premium" live rock. They suppose to be the better ones.

Oh, i meant to ask about the circulation powerheads. Right now I have one of those wave makers controlling a few power heads that are pointing towards the front glass from left and right. See the wave like sand bed? They were made by those power heads. They look nice and all. Just not sure if it's a good idea to do so. Basically, the sand bed in the front area would change landscape every few hour little by little.

I think its good for the sand to shift around some.But it also causes a problem.All the sand ends under the rock or piled up on one side of the tank.

Good job with the LR. It looks very nice. I had a lot of sand moving in the way you are describing when my tank was new but I have noticed that as the tank matures, my sand seems to stay put better. If it's makng a mess of things then you should probably change it otherwise I would say leave it and see how it goes for a while.

Back