wet dry or refugium

squid

Reefing newb
OK, im getting tired of my tank looking like :pooh:. I am now interested in better filtration. I was looking at a wet dry or refugium. What do you guys here think I need as much help as possible.

fuge for the win!

Not only will help with nutrient export, its a safe haven for micro crustaceans which are a great source of free fish food and are awesome micro cleaners!

wow, that is a lot of money.

You can build your own that is better than that for not even a third of that. Get a plastic tub, an overflow box, return pump and a clamp on CFL lamp along with some rubble and cheato. Voila! Refugium!

wow, that is a lot of money.

You can build your own that is better than that for not even a third of that. Get a plastic tub, an overflow box, return pump and a clamp on CFL lamp along with some rubble and cheato. Voila! Refugium!

just the overflow and the pump alone will be the cost of that alone. I was just looking for an easy way out, I am mechanically inclined, just I dont have the time, especially when studying for a PhD.

The pump and overflow wont cost you more than $327 together. I really dont see how putting the pieces together is going to be any more time consuming than putting that whole thing together.

I know that the overflow cost I think 110 at the pet store and and the pump cost 150, that right there is 260. Ok you got me its not in the vecinity of the price, however, in all due respect, the item you saw on ebay is it the ideal type of refugium?

The socks are the white things that look bags in the item. How many you need depends on how fast they get dirty and need a cleaning

my main question is now. how does this filter work. it looks like it can only make the tank tank dirtier with all that other stuff in the actual refugium, how does it filter the water?

Im not quite sure which part you are referring to but the filter socks remove particulates from the water as the water coming from your tank passes through them. As the amount of junk builds up you will need to change and clean the filter socks because water will start to back up. The refugium cleans your water by allowing the macro algae to grow on the nitrates and phosphates that are in your water. This keeps ugly, unwanted algae from growing in your display tank. You can also put some rubble in there which will increase your biological filtration. The fuge also provides a safe place for microcrustaceans to live and reproduce. Some will be washed into your display tank where they can be food for your fish and also provide a helpful micro cleanup crew.

Back