What a relief! (rodi)

Alexander

Reef enthusiast
Finally i got it setup. its only been almost 2 years! Sarah i know your gunna be happy to finally see this thing running :bounce:

IMG00017-20090503-1457.jpg

i need a new waste valve the one that came on it was bad and still need to hang it but its running water through it as we speak. and a good thing too because i am WAAAAAY behind on water changes and thats not good considering my algae problems.

Those vice grips come in handy dont they:D
Glad to see you finally got that thing filtering water.

Congrats! I have been thinking about a way to set one up myself, but so far I have been unwilling to spend the cash. I think I need a RODI fairy myself.

I think she has retired. maybe another one will come along someday. its totally worth the investment when your paying almost 2 dollars at the store for 5 gallons of water. the money i have spent on water over the years is absolutely staggering. thats why i dont think about it.

I think she has retired. maybe another one will come along someday.

Hahaha. Not retired... Just on hiatus!! My household income is currently (and has been for the last year and a half) about 1/2 of what it was a couple years ago. Hence the reason why the RODI Fairy hasn't even brought Biffy anything new for her tank in over a year.

I did the math and it definitely makes sense. I am going to try to get one soon and so I guess I have to figure out what kind of salt I am going to use

that white chamber on top next to the DI cartridge is a carbon filter for drinking water purification and taste.......... to use it for a reef....... it should be removed.. the last cartridge your water should flow thru before you use it in your tank is the DI cartridge......

that white chamber on top next to the DI cartridge is a carbon filter for drinking water purification and taste.......... to use it for a reef....... it should be removed.. the last cartridge your water should flow thru before you use it in your tank is the DI cartridge......

Why is that? how could carbon filtration make things worse?

dont all RO units have carbon filters, i know mine was made specifically for reef tanks and it has to carbon blocks at different micron sizes

I don't know the why's.... I only know what I was told...... look at any "reef RO system" and you wont' see that extra carbon filter..... it is there purly for taste enhancement of the water...... I presume maybe to add back in minerals that the DI removes for drinking purposes.... you are not supposed to drink DI water in the first place... I have a dual output RO system.... the water to the tank comes out of the DI cartridge... the drinking water comes out of the carbon cartridge...

the carbon filters that Dustin is talking about are all in front of the membrane..... not after it....

i guess so it does great for drinking water and for the tank. the drinking water part uses water before the di than when the line for the tank gets used it runs the water through the di than to the tank water. so at least the water for drinking is not to clean.

I spent quite a bit of time comparing the models available in this price range and that was one of the reasons I picked this one. I can hardly wait to get it up and running. The LFS store moved recently and I am tired of driving 25 minutes each way every week for water.

Back