What are good rock cleaners?

I would be careful with Manderin fish. From what I have read here and elsewhere, they usually eat pods. A lot of people recommend to watch them eat frozen foods at the LFS if your thinking about purchasing one.

you shouldnt own a mandarine unless your tank is over a year old as most only feed on pods to live and they eat non stop and if you dont have a huge population the mandarine will eat them faster then they can reproduce. and snails are good at cleaning rocks

I have mandarin that are eating copepods and doing well. They also like frozen brine, and cyclop-eez. So alls well there. I just was told that for the things that live in our rock and can overpopulate like bristles, mandarin and 6 line wrasse are good. Seems to me Biffer said something a while back about another fish...goby?///????? My six line got caught in my pump...darn...so am thinking about what would be good as I have 3 tanks...all reef with lots of corals starting.

My emerald crab has made a disaster of my green turf algae. It's almost completely gone. I'm so happy I could do back flips.
:bounce:

Most of my rock stays pretty clean. 3 large red leg hermits. 10 or more 3/8" blue tip hermits. About 20+/- snails (assorted species) .

Biff, my LFS said that with live rock and time, worms, and stuff can over populate and thats not a healthy balance in smaller aquariums...I have my 10 gallon for new arrivals, 29 biocube, and 49 bowfront with a 40 gallon breeder size sump with fuge.
Since I have alot of live rock, he mentioned to add like a 6 line wrasse or mandarin that would keep the balance. He also mentioned the mandarin would definately need pods. They supposedly eat the ichy stuff. What ever ichy stuff is in his opinion.
Also, you and I on another thread spoke of cleaning wrasse. You mentioned that why??? would I want to buy that as they die after they have cleaned the parasites from the fish.
My cleaning wrasse is called slick and he is marvelous. He reminds me of a cool dark strip down the side of a baby blue car. He eats everything!!!! Mysis, cyclops, cyclops ezze, noni, garcilia...I havent found anything he wont eat. He cleans my pumps, as well and occassionaly he will clean off something on my fish. He leaves corals alone. No starvation in the future for him. Maybe, you thougt of a differnt wrasse? As their are so many? I can send a pic of him if you like. I have one in both the 29 cube and 46 bowfront. Both are the same in personality and purpose. From same buyer.

If those worms populations are exploding,then you've got excess nutrients.Worm populations are dependent on a food source.Besides,They are great at keeping things clean.Leave em alone.

Back