What are these?

rdahlke1105

I'm a girl.
I have a ton of these growing on my Tonga rock and have noticed one growing out of the base rock. What are they?

The part with the black arrow pointing moves and the part with the red arrow is hard.

DSC00050.jpg

I'd say possibly colonial hydroids, I just found some in my tank. I can't really tell what the black arrow is pointing at, does it look something like my picture?
IDonZoas.jpg

I think they are a type of worm, but i cant remember what its called at the moment.

Do you ever notice thin threads coming from them?

I don't think they are hydroids. I've had a couple of those and these don't look anything like them. I don't see any thin threads coming out of them. What they remind me of is the tube worms that you find near deep sea vents.

+1 valasaraptor...they are vermetid snails, other than the fact that some corals get annoyed when they get the snail's web, they are harmless.

I had to do that recently. It wasn't really annoying the coral as much as it was annoying me with the damn web all the time.
I can't say I've ever seen mine stick out of the tube that far, though. Is the base straight? Or like a curly Q?

The bases are straight and I have not seen any of the web stuff you guys are talking about. I've only noticed them on the Tonga rock and one or two on the base rock.

Back