What chemicals

Dantitan

Reefing newb
So far, I have bought some SeaChem Liquid Marine Buffer and some Kent Marine Liquid Calcium. I wanted to get everyones opinion on what other chemicals that I should purchase for my tank. I do not have any coral yet, but do plan on having plenty of coral in the future. For now, its going to be a FOWLR until the tank is more established. Thanks in advance.

Wont need many till then, if you have inverts lodine will be neededfor them to harden their harden their shells etc. Caclium will help your Coraline Algae grow since it needs it. Just make sure you have your test kits for the basics, ph ammonia nitrite nitrate.

Yeah, I do have the basic test kit. Plan on getting the Reef Test Kit in the next comming weeks. Will definately get some Iodine though. Thanks for the info.

You may not need it, after a second thought depending on how frequent your water changes are and the stock of your tank, your salt may contain enough depending on the kind you use, to replace what your tank is removing. I still tend to lightly does mine occasionally and it may be wise to get some regardless just a second though.

The pH buffer is the only thing needed while you have no corals.You will want to monitor calcium,alkalinity and magnesium more closely when you do decide on corals.Water changes will take care of the other trace elements like iodine levels,etc.

Many of us,including myself use this.Replenishes all three(calcium,alkalinity,mag) that is vital for more sensitive corals like SPS corals.
Two Part Calcium and Alkalinity Total Package (Small ) - English

I would also like to throw in this bit of advise.

NEVER add anything to your tank that you are not testing for. Dont just follow the directions that say add a capful a day. You could overdose big time and cause a catastrophy

I agree with all the above.
If your not testing for it,dont dose it.Even if are testing it,dont dose it unless its low.
And for alkalinity buffer.Dont pay the higher price for the stuff at the LFS.Get some baking soda and use this Reef Chemistry Calculator to figure the dosage.
Also run the tests daily for a couple of weeks and record the results.That way you can figure how much of what needs to be dosed daily to keep every thing stable.

I would also like to throw in this bit of advise.

NEVER add anything to your tank that you are not testing for. Dont just follow the directions that say add a capful a day. You could overdose big time and cause a catastrophy

+1 BJ Many people unknowningly dose chenicals without knowing what their levels are at, and which way if any they need to go. For now, a basic marine test kit (amonia, nitrite, nitrate, and Ph) is all you will need. Then get a calcium test kit. As you get corals, especially lps and sps, you will want to monitor your mag, and alk levels. Again, get a test kit so you know the perameters before you dose.

I agree with dont dose unless you are testing. But personally I believe PWC`s make it so you dont have to add any chems.

If you have lots of coralline and no corals, you may at some point have to dose. Coralline will suck carbonates (alk) out of the water.

Back